1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ACC Tourney, a young writer, impressions of sports media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Mar 13, 2011.

1. This just makes me sick. This kid had the chance to do something I've been dreaming about for almost 20 years and throws it away because he got into a stupid fight and then decided he didn't want to play by the rules. Sportswriters need to be neutral.

I suppose I should thank him, because this just gives me more motivation to get that dream of covering the ACC tournament, and when I get that chance, I won't waste it.

2. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Did you hire some violinists to accompany you during that post?

3. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Now THAT is how you make people laugh.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The kid is 25, or else he is much smarter than any of us think being a grad student at 15

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Just go with the joke. Sheesh.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Assuming you're being serious, he now works for Grantland, which should make several people here want to choke a bitch.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Who you callin' a bitch?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I bet he played lacrosse

9. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

He's Shane Ryan, Grantland staff writer. He still runs the blog, although it's been rebranded and renamed—check TobaccoRoadBlues.com. Seems like a good writer and relatively bright guy. Not my style, really, but he's good at putting words in an entertaining order.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think we have a winner. I'm definitely in the conservative camp but I feel positively fucking embarrassed by some comments in this election cycle.

As for Duke, can't stand the basketball program but have a lot of respect for coach K and I respect the school itself. And like IJAG said, not every Duke student or alum acts like this.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have only read a couple of pages of comment, but I did read both the original piece and the apology.

The young man really impressed me with his thoughtful analysis in the apology.

Draft saved Draft deleted