1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AC/DC retiring today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that. I think there's Bon Scott-era AC/DC fans and Brian Johnson-era AC/DC fans.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not on the level of Van Halen fans... Then again, Van Halen fans could dream of a DLR reunion. AC/DC fans didn't exactly have that option.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I grew up being told AC/DC stood for: Anti-Christ/Devil's Children.
    I didn't ever hear an AC/DC song until after Razor's Edge came out: "Money Talks" was the first song I heard.

I know all the big songs now and appreciate them for being the Taco Bell of rock and roll. The same ingredients in every thing they put out, but it's all good stuff.

Great band.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

A great band I could go without ever hearing again. Rock radio and stadium PA systems simply ruined every single song to my ear. Zeppelin is pretty close to that for me, as well.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Definitely, Hell's Bells and Thunderstruck are two songs that need a sports break, from NFL stadiums to my son's high school football games.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Someone should make a list of songs that can no longer be played at stadiums. Retire them. Give them a Song Hall of Fame induction and let them retire. First induction class: Seven Nation Army, We Are the Champions, Glory Days, Centerfielder, Thunderstruck and Hell's Bells.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of AC/DC, but I am partial to Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution and Big Balls.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And then there are songs that were written with the hope that they'd be played in stadiums, like Smashmouth's "All-Star."

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Anonymous sources deny the retirement rumor, though the band's management and record label refuse to comment:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6053874/acdc-not-quitting-retirement-rumors

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct, sir. People thought the band was finished. Mr. Collins, at one point, thought it was going to be a four-piece playing instrumentals.

On replacing Pete, they reportedly auditioned more than 400 singers before "settling" for the little drummer. Not a bad move. It was Steve Hackett's departure than hurt the band worse than Pete.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then There Were Three, Duke and Abacab were real good albums after Hackett left. Then the Phil Collins persona took over and things deteriorated, quality-wise.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Said it before and I'll say it again, but Malcolm Young is high on the list of under-appreciated rock stars. He pretty much invented the sound of that band.

Draft saved Draft deleted