1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AC/DC retiring today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Right Now there's no disputing $27 million and 4 No. 1's. Didn't know that.

That being said ...

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

27 million units, not dollars

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Does Rage Against The Machine Audioslave count?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Genesis has two Gabriel-era gold records -- its last two with him, "Selling England by the Pound" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway." Granted, they weren't certified gold until long after Gabriel left, but in those days they were way more popular in Europe than the U.S. At the time Gabriel left, it was an open question whether Genesis could actually replace him without embarrassing itself.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Iron Maiden had 2 gold records with Paul Di'Anno before Bruce Dickinson joined in '82.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Both of Black Sabbath's albums with Ronnie James Dio went gold, and one went platinum.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1984 never hit No. 1, but it was No. 2 for awhile behind a little album called "Thriller" It sold over 10 million copies.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I realize that, but my point was that to say Van Halen didn't have extended success with Hagar is preposterous.

9. Mizzougrad96

Oh, I wasn't arguing... It's just AC/DC made the change without skipping a beat. You'll find people who prefer the Bon Scott years, but considering how well Back in Black sold, it's safe to say there wasn't much backlash to having a new lead singer.

Van Halen was a very different band with Hagar. I liked both versions, but I remember seeing Van Halen in concert in 1991 or 1992 and Hagar was singing Panama and Jump in concert and everybody looked at each other like, "What the fuck?"

AC/DC never had that issue.

10. Mizzougrad96

I agree 100 percent.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Hagar had been in the band 6-7 years by that time, with three huge smash hit albums, if your friends hadn't gotten the message by then, it's like ... what the fuck?

2. AC/DC was not "worldwide big" when Bon Scott died; they were considered a relatively-obscure metal band with a handful of songs which got occasional late-night play on metal-oriented AOR stations (in the U.S. at least). When Scott died, it hardly shook the foundations of U.S. AOR stations to the core; it was mentioned briefly in passing a couple of times.

So when "Back in Black" hit big behind Johnson, it wasn't taken as a huge affront by a massive devoted fan base which swore eternal allegiance to Scott. Plus Scott's departure wasnt' a he-said/he-said pissing-match type thing where people had to choose sides, as the Roth/VH soap opera was. Plus of course Scott wasn't coming back, no matter what happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted