1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absolutely outstanding reporting by Harrisburg Patriot News in PSU case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A look at our comments would indicate the mix you would expect. But I don't see any particular venom toward Sara and her reporting.

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Per a link from Jim Romenesko, Ganim is a 2008 graduate of Penn State.

She gives me hope for the future of journalism.

http://indianhillmediaworks.typepad.com/07newsroom/2011/11/praising-newspapers-praising-the-newsooms-next-generation-meet-sara-ganim.html

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

She did not address the reaction, but I didn't get the whole interview.

(I am hoping they will post it).

She was asked if she was a Penn State football fan, and she said she was when she was at the school. She said that the Penn State part kind of petered out but that she still liked football.

I had heard there was negative reaction to the March pieces, but I will defer to jr./shotglass on the current stuff..

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I will have to take a look at that.

One thing that might be shielding her a bit, she isn't the one writing the Paterno firing/state of the program stories, is she? Seems like the anger is coming around those issues and maybe not so much around the much heavier matters Ganim is addressing.

5. jr/shotglass

Our sports staff is doing the state of the program stories, yes.

And we have a plethora of writers, newsside and sports, doing different angles.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been looking every day. Haven't been counting bylines, but just by sheer volume I assume there are at least a half-dozen reporters churning every day, probably more.

Didn't realize you worked there. Man, do y'all have some beers coming after the paper closes tonight!

7. jr/shotglass

That's a ways off ... high school playoffs tonight. lol

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"These people who talk about how busy it gets covering the biggest college sports scandal ever. Pfff. They should try and cover high school football on a Friday night."

9. jr/shotglass

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Good ol' District 3/6 playoffs. Miss 'em.

11. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Half a district? Anyway, what was with the McQueary joke about protective custody that Yahoo attributed to the Patriot News many hours after the Harrisburg story was posted without such a reference (I am assuming there was a first lede of the story with that "fact")? Not a knock on Harrisburg, I was just wondering if that had ever been in one of the stories, or if this was Yahoo taking a story and rewriting it to make it theirs and getting it wrong. I know McQueary joked about it.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

What has been lost in all of this is that Paterno did what he was supposed to do. He followed the chain of command. He's at fault because this happened on his watch. Perhaps he could have and should have followed up, but he did what he was supposed to do. I'm not saying he deserves a free pass but this clearly is not his fault or his doing.
    Let's face it, once the story had gotten out, and who was involved, he was on borrowed time coaching at State Penn er Penn State.

Draft saved Draft deleted