1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrupt retirements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was thinking the other day that I cannot believe that Jermaine Dye has never played baseball again after 2009. He was 35 years old, coming off of a string of healthy, productive seasons, didn't get the free agent deal he was looking for, and ... walked away.

A lot of these kind of retirements are injury-caused. Sandy Koufax. Albert Belle.

Who else do people recall just exiting stage left in sports, before it seemed like they were ready to go?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

John Brisker

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's hard to believe nobody was interested in Barry Bonds.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In some ways this may be a result of massive modern contracts: a player in (athletic) late middle-age may have socked enough money away in the prime of his career, he may just decide to walk away rather than play for less than he thinks he's worth and go through the grind of getting/staying in shape.

But it's risky, because as Neil Young says, "once you're gone, you can't come back" (with dramatically isolated exceptions).

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Brian Urlacher is another recent one I can think of.

6. Boom_70

Ricky Williams for a time

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm shocked by how many guys who made millions in their career, come back and get involved as coaches/managers.

8. Starman

yeah, but Urlacher was pretty obviously slipping, his style of play involves a lot of pain/punishment, and he is a visible enough public figure he should make a pretty nice living in the Chicago area as a Fohmah BEAR. So I was hardly stunned/shocked by his decision.

And who knows how much Fohmah BEAR legends talk to the young whipper-snappers, but you have to guess if Urlacher ever talked to Dick Butkus about it, he might have been told that hanging on for the last couple of years of his playing career has resulted in a hell of a lot of pain over the ensuing 40 years.

9. Boom_70

Barry Sanders
    Jim Brown

10. Starman

Well, if you can get on the track to be a HEAD coach/manager, there is some nice money to be made. Toiling for years as an assistant, maybe not so much (although even low-level assistants at the major league level clear six figures plus these days).

Plus I suppose a lot of these guys think they'll actually be good at it. Some are and of course some aren't.

11. Starman

The counter-argument is that both of those guys appear to be in pretty decent physical shape, in contrast to many other players at the same position who essentially got smashed up for life.

Sanders especially being so small had to be aware at any time if he got held up in a pileup and some 6-6, 325-pound tackle bulldozed him from the blind side, he could go home on a stretcher. Brown was never at any similar risk of being physically demolished -- he was as big as many offensive linemen of his era -- but after passing 30 he must have figured it was time to quit while he was still relatively in one piece.

12. Boom_70

Aaron Hernandez

Draft saved Draft deleted