1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrams: Maps!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

From LAObserved's Kevin Roderick..... ho-leeee shit.

Tribune's new innovation honcho Lee Abrams finally began work today after a career in radio and a bunch of pre-memos. He immediately blogged his notes on a vision for the newspaper front pages. Think maps, lots and lots of BIG maps. Oh, and he wants new name tags, and a new name for WGN the Superstation. Whole thing is after the jump, but here's a representative sample:

The first one may make heads explode. Not my intention, so pardon me if it casuses an exploding effect. I was thinking what a newspaper might look like, if newspapers never before existed. Then a few comments on Superstation after watching Sunday. I have no idea if it's right, wrong or a complete strike out, but imagine:

THE FRONT SECTION: The front page is four large and visually stunning maps:
    (placement could depend on the prior day's activity or importance based on the city the paper serves)

LOCAL AREA
    THE USA
    THE WORLD
    ROTATING (meaning a map of the most relevant area not covered by the above three. If Europe is blowing up, then its Europe)

On each map is an icon with a small headline...but different obvious icons for different types of events. A "fire symbol" for a fire, etc...

The second page is 100% mini headlines, or an index, visually interesting of course with info on where to find the story.

That's it for Section One. Big, bold, visually attractive. Two pages

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That sounds like a Web site.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If this monstrosity of a front page is ever produced, will someone PLEASE let us know and post a link?

4. captzulu

captzulu Member

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

BLOGS!!! MAPS!!!!!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It sounds like a book cover and a glossary. That's two wasted pages -- just what papers are going for these days.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That is one fine piece of work right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted