1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About Chuck Culpepper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Chuck's a great writer and a better person. In a business filled with ego-maniacs, Chuck never turned that way.
    He was a class act to all of us who knew him at H-L.

2. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I've read the book and it is Culpepperian, which is to say it's delightful, it's delicious, and it's laugh-out-loud funny....damned if, by mid-narrative, I wasn't rootin' for the Pompey and their blue bear, whatever they are:)....

3. Bud Shaw

Bud Shaw New Member

my first post and it took Culpepper to do it...I was lucky enough to talk Chuck into joining The National Chicago Bureau many years ago...I remember showing his clips to Dave Kindred to see if he thought what I thought. Dave said, "Hire this guy now."...Chuck was terrific then and only got better. Couldn't be happier for him...

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Chuck certainly sounds like a guy I'd love to know — anybody have his email?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jeez guys, go checkout the LA Times - he's written the page 2 column every day this week.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wait, where's Marjorie, or Nancy, or Fred, or whatever his name is?

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Which says less about LAT than about Chuck.
    For some reason, the new SE, whose background is in the Olympics and international sports that people only care about for 2-3 week every four years, and who everybody says is so wonderful, continues to shove European stuff down our throats.
    With a dwindling news hole, three columns in a row from England. Last summer there were daily stories on cricket. More and more overseas soccer is finding its way into the paper. Not one word on today's cover about the Rose Bowl.
    Over the holidays there have been days when I've had little time to read the paper or no time to read the paper. And I can say I haven't missed it.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

She's on page 3 with a rather trite column about what's on TV this weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted