1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abduction hoaxer's dad goes nuts on news cameramen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yesterday, the mom who claimed that 2 black men stuffed her and her daughter into the trunk of a car -- but who really took off to Disney World -- was sentenced to 9 months to 2 years in prison. After the sentencing, the woman's dad attacked cameramen waiting outside of the courtroom.

Now, I want to buy a beer for the cameraman who gets the dad in a headlock and still maintains control of his heavy camera.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6985296

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Re: Abduction hoaxer mom's dad goes nuts on news cameramen

I'm with you. The photog did an awesome job of stopping the guy without kicking his ass or losing the camera.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Abduction hoaxer mom's dad goes nuts on news cameramen

I can understand how the father feels. He's lucky he is not joining his daughter in the clink, though.

4. Re: Abduction hoaxer mom's dad goes nuts on news cameramen

If I'm the photographer(s) who was attacked, I press charges and throw in a nice civil suit for good measure. Teach the SOB a lesson. We're not responsible for your daughter's fuck-ups.

But don't hire the daughter's lawyer. She was distraught about not being able to pay back $200,000 that she stole, so she went to Disney World? How could he even say that with a straight face?

5. Lock that old prick up.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bingo. Send the ole fucker to the slammer, and collect a nice chunk of change out of his ass, too. Of course, he's probably got a net worth of about 57 cents, but bleed him for whatever he's worth and send a message. Find somebody else to blame besides the media.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Kudos to the one cameraman who put the guy in a choke but shit...shouldn't some of the other camaramen come to the aid of the guy being attacked?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Speaking as a former TV photog, not really -- but I'd be really pissed if my reporter wasn't on the guy a split second after he hit me.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Was the guy who attacked the cameraman Kenny Rogers by any chance?

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Whatever.

Shit, I've seen photogs (video) on my beat go at each other with more ferocity. Why? All because someone's tripod invaded the personal space of the other guy and they didn't have enough elbow room.

I don't recall any of them being locked up.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Good thing they had officer Beverly D'Angelo on the scene to restore order ...

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Kudos to the guy who stopped the old man, but if I were the guy who got bitch-slapped by an 80-year old man, I think I'd leave town. That beat, at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted