1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ABC Moving Kimmel To Compete Directly With Leno, Letterman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could see having another 10-15 years of Leno.

2. Mizzougrad96

Fallon's show right now is funnier than Conan's show right now.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The 2010s version of Conan. It's hard to fathom, but Conan's show debuted in 1993. I was 9. While he looks younger than Leno and Letterman, he's still a 49-year-old dude at this point. He was about 30 when he got his show on NBC, and when Fallon started his late night show, he was about 34. Both are high energy, former SNL guys, and both tend to do weird stuff that does and doesn't work. The comparison isn't that insane to me, given that they have a bunch in common when it comes to their backgrounds.

4. Mizzougrad96

Conan at 12:30 was better than Fallon at 12:30, but Fallon's show is a lot better than most people thought it would be.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

OK. I misunderstood and thought you meant that Fallon is as funny as O'Brien was.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One complicating factor whenever Letterman retires: CBS doesn't own the show. Letterman does. If Ferguson has any sort of deal in place to guarantee he gets the Late Show -- and I don't believe that's the case -- the deal would be with Worldwide Pants, not CBS.

7. Mizzougrad96

That will be interesting to see if CBS gets rid of the show after Letterman retires and start from scratch or if they just replace Letterman, which would keep checks coming to Letterman, but might make the transition easier if Letterman is on board. I think, at least initially, they'll just replace Letterman, but if ratings go into the toilet, I could see them scrapping that pretty quickly.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Fallon vs. Ferguson vs. Kimmel is what you have now, but if you're right, we could be experiencing it an hour earlier, possibly, in the near future(although Ferguson's new contract just signed with CBS is for two years).....

For me, the edge (as in winner) goes to Ferguson.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Saying "eventually a woman" skips over the history of Joan Rivers, which may actually be a public service come to think of it.

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Dont bother, the funniest parts of his show are the Super Bowl stunts.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of think that your favorite light night host is kind of like asking what your favorite era of SNL was. Whatever era was on when you were between the ages of 13 and 20, there is a good chance that is magically your favorite. I'm more of a Conan fan because I grew up with him, but I bet Fallon does better with current college students than Conan does. (At least from the audience participation stuff they do - and they do a lot of it - Fallon's audience seems to skew real young.)

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I love Craig...but he would be hard to watch if moved to 11:30. He would have to tone it down a lot and that doesn't suit him.
    The guy says what he feels and he is naturally funny when it comes to off-the-cuff talking and interviews. He would have to suppress a lot of what he wants to say and it would ruin him.

I was a huge Jimmy fan the first year of his show. It was very unpolished and crazy fun (I think the first night of the show, a girl got hammered in the studio audience and threw up. I think Jimmy and Snoop were doing shots during the show, just crazy stuff).
    When he put a tie on, I figured the fun was over and stopped watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted