1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ABC Moving Kimmel To Compete Directly With Leno, Letterman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 22, 2012.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/heldenfiles/the-heldenfiles-online-1.258385/abc-moving-kimmel-to-11-35-nightline-to-12-35-and-prime-time-in-2013-1.328433

ABC putting Kimmel on after late local news; moving Nightline back until after Kimmel, starting in January. Did not think anybody gave a flying about Kimmel. Guess I was wrong but beats me why (Guess it's my age).

Or does anybody really care...?

Hope there is no D-B here, but this was only announced yesterday.

I personally don't see what Kimmel has. I wasn't impressed, but again, maybe it's my age.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have never watched Kimmel's show on air, but every time I see a clip on the Internet it is hilarious. I may actually check this out.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They must think they can take Letterman. Maybe they can.

Kimmel has a certain lecherous appeal.

Get ready for the Kimmel Show oral history on Grantland in late December.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The dude is hosting the Emmys and has emceed White House Correspondents' Dinner. I don't watch the show but the youtube bits are hilarious, and they feature real A-list talent doing things they normally wouldn't do.

I think its your age.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a smart move. I don't think he'll beat either Letterman or Leno, but I think he'll do well. His audience has grown at a pretty steady rate the whole time he's been on the air.

Plus, how much longer do Leno and Letterman have on the air? I have no idea how much longer Leno will go, but I'd be stunned if Letterman stays on the air more than a couple more years. Hell, in five years it could be Fallon vs. Ferguson vs. Kimmel.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Even though we have almost completely opposite views on Grantland...awesome line. And probably correct.

7. Mizzougrad96

How many Grantland staffers or freelancers have worked for Kimmel? Simmons did. Daniel Kellison, who is an executive producer for Kimmel's show, has also written pieces for Grantland.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Won't happen. CBS will drop $30 million at Jon Stewart's door.

And, eventually, there will be a woman.

9. Mizzougrad96

I don't know about Stewart... In Bill Carter's book they said they didn't think Stewart could have network appeal. ABC picked Kimmel over him and NBC picked Conan over him. I don't remember if he was in the mix for the spots that went to Ferguson or Fallon.

I love the guy. I hope he stays on Comedy Central.

I'd be curious what woman would be able to pull off late night ratings. Chelsea?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You look at the numbers though - and Nightline is beating Leno and Letterman in total viewers and in the 18-49 demo.
    It would be interesting to see how many Kimmel viewers watch The Daily Show and Colbert. I just don't see a lot more growth. His ratings will improve, but unless he regularly beats both Leno and Letterman, like Nightline does, it's a bad move.

Sadly, I think Stewart would be considered "too old" as a potential replacement for Letterman. I'd go with someone like Joel McHale.

11. Mizzougrad96

I remember listening to Kimmel on Carolla's old radio show and they were talking about the early days of JKL when they had so much trouble getting guests that Carolla, Dr. Drew, David Alan Grier, Kathy Griffin and Sarah Silverman all were on the show almost every other week.

12. Mizzougrad96

McHale would be great.

Draft saved Draft deleted