1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abba, my semi-offensive Swedish observations and some questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 3, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. Not sure where to being with this. I have basically cranked out 3,000 words in half a day today—and I just reread them and they are actually GOOD words.

I did this while also taking frequent breaks and posting a ton to the board. And the only explanation I can come up with for my superhuman show of prolific writing is that I have had iTunes blasting Abba songs for the last 5 hours (much to the chagrin of the people in the offices on both sides of me). I don’t mean a mix with a lot of Abba. I mean ONLY Abba.

Mind you, Abba sort of fits into the Billy Joel category for me. It’s a guilty pleasure that makes me feel like a huge dork. At this moment, Waterloo happens to be blasting away from the computer I am writing on, and my lower body is doing moves that haven’t been seen since Rerun started to groove at that Doobie Brothers concert on What’s Happenin’.

I rarely listen to Abba, but I have just about everything they ever performed on my iPod. Yes, I know this will cause many of you take out restraining orders. And yet, I don’t care. They are like heroin. When I get into a strange mood where I am hankering for them, like I did this morning, the first note of Frida or Agnetha’s voice can put me into a weird Forrest Gump-like trance. Anything is possible. It isn’t full-proof. And I have to use my Abba muse sparingly, because overuse would render it ineffective. But I’ll be damned if there is anything other than those four happy Swedes that could have put me into the zone I’ve been in today.

Does anyone even remotely relate to what I am talking about?

While I am on the topic, perhaps someone can explain some things to me, too. I have a huge crush on both Frida and Agnetha. Actually, what I feel is slightly dirtier than a crush. But that’s for another discussion. My question is—and this seems to be a Swedish thing in general—how can I have any faith in a world in which perfect women like them end up with two guys who look like bearded Barney Rubbles?

This really is a Swedish thing, in general. If I have a “type,” it is definitely the typical Swedish woman. I mean, how can you not love a country in which even the ugly women are hot?

But what perplexes me is this: How can a country be filled with so many hot women… and men who mostly look like chinless muppets? (For a time, I thought there might be exceptions to this rule, such as Magnus Magnusson and the other dudes you see on ESPN at 3 a.m. pulling locomotives with their teeth, but it turns out he’s from Iceland).

Can anyone provide answers?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Swedish women's hockey players
    [​IMG]
    Not hot.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Abba, my semi-offense Swedish observations and some questions

I know there's something going on.  :D

Those ABBA ladies weren't perfect. Did you ever see their teeth? Their videos are like infomercials for a dentist. Great googly moogly.

This should make you happy, Ragu:

4. Good day.
    I can't explain your connection to the Abba thing, though.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Abba is nothing but good music. don't be hating on Abba.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Re: Abba, my semi-offense Swedish observations and some questions

Thank you. I'm now grooving Ragu style.

And plenty of extra Abba youtube links to click

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You know, if you take the pads off the one on the left and introduce her to a woman who knows something about make-up, I am sure I would be all over her. Maybe it's just me.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't ABBA turn down something like half a billion bucks to reunite a few years ago? Damn. I'd go see them.

Yeah, I said it.

Maybe that could be the next SportsJournalists.com Outing: ABBA!!!

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'd buy tickets to that show, too.

Until then, we just have Mama Mia shows to watch and dance at. That show was the best date my wife and I have been on in years.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can't explain your ABBA connection either but I do know that "Does Your Mother Know?" (the only hit they had that the girls didn't sing) is one great fucking song and I gained a whole new prespective on "Knowing Me, Knowing You" after seeing it in Mamma Mia.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Totally with you on the Abba thing.  Something about the pure popness of their music just suits a particular frame of mind.  And I think there are lots of hot Swedish guys.  

Besides, they gave us IKEA.  :D

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You can't truly appreciate the greatness that is ABBA until I was sitting at a beach bar in the Caribbean listening to "Dancing Queen" being played by a steel drum band.

Draft saved Draft deleted