1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAU basketball tryout notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 13, 2011.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good lord. Print a one-paragraph brief and call it good. If he wants more tell him to buy an ad.

You're making this way harder than it needs to be.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There is also a handy key on a keyboard named "delete" that works wonders on emails.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Disagree. If you know for a fact that this is a league where you need huge money to participate, it's not a service to your readers. It's a service to the coach. The readers who are interested can sure as heck find that themselves (has any parent ever said "I have $20,000 to spend on my kid's sports career but can't find a place to spend it"?).

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Policy is policy. Explain policy to him - if you haven't already - and be done with him.

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

And another thing, he can pay for an ad.

7. micropolitan guy

Well, I disagree with your disagreement. ;D

It's the newspaper's job to provide its readers with information that is relevant in their community, in this case opportunities for their sons/daughters to possibly play on an AAU basketball team. Some readers may be interested in having their children play for this team.

Running a one-paragraph blurb about this team isn't an endorsement of the program. He's not receiving anything in return for running this information. He's providing information to the readers.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seconded.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Micro, i disagree with your disagreement with playthrough's disagreement. ;D Coach should buy an ad.

10. micropolitan guy

At least it's an agreeable disagreement!

The guy probably would buy an ad if he knew all he was getting is a one-time, one-paragraph blurb and that didn't produce the desired results.

Again, any paper I worked for in 35 years in the biz would have run this as a brief, just as we would have run a brief about a classic car show, a monster truck rally at the fairgrounds, the Harlem Globetrotters appearing at Microville Tech or any other sports-related activity in our area, whether it was put on by a non-profit or for-profit organization.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

SP, forward the e-mail to your ads people. They'll take care of it.
    I did that a couple years back with one AAU team and they take out an ad every year - a small one, but an ad nonetheless.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Go read "Play Their Hearts Out"

The words "summer basketball" makes my skin crawl now.

Draft saved Draft deleted