1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaron, who is black ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 13, 2010.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Could have gone with a variation on "last Negro leaguer in the majors," maybe?

YHS, etc

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wow, if that's true, it's an interesting fact I never knew. He was the last person to make it to the majors from the Negro Leagues?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Some time ago, we had a big debate over the merits and perils of 'clean AP copy,' as opposed to more creative stylized writing.

This is the perfect example of how 'clean' copy can fail. Is it accurate? Yes. Is it grammatical? Yes. Does it spare the writer from having to actually, you know, WRITE, instead of merely typing? Yes.

But in all fairness to the writer in this case, it does sound like something an overeager editor might add, perhaps someone who hasn't spent a lot of time in sports.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if he was the last one to MAKE the majors -- some Negro League teams continued to function up until 1960 -- but he was the last Negro Leaguer still active when he retired in 1976. It was one of the little trivia mini-factoids they used to throw into broadcasts.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Minnie Miñoso was the last Negro league player to play in a Major League game when he appeared in two games for the Chicago White Sox in 1980.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Start? There was still a ton of African American talent when Griffey entered the league in 1989, but the percentage has been steadily declining ever since. If anything, Griffey symbolizes the END of the MLB African American era, not the hope for a resurgence.

As for the thread topic, seems like an overreaction to me. Yes, everybody should know Aaron is black, but nothing wrong with the writer including those three words to clarify the significance for the few dimwit readers.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

When I worked at AP in Detroit, we had to enter the same phrase into stories about Rosa Parks.

Remember, AP writes to the lowest common demoninator. There are some idiots out there.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Count me in the "much ado about nothing" camp. Nothing at all wrong with clarity. The copy should indicate why a quoted person's words are being used to make a point. Could it have been done more gently? Sure.

I'm more troubled by the phrase "that he could bring excitement back to baseball," which is in equal need of a qualifer. As if the only excitement in baseball is created by black players. Would've gone over better as that he could bring excitement back to baseball for the black community.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Can you imagine if someone said that more Gordon Heywards would be much, much better for the NBA?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The story was about Jason Heyward, anyone interested enough in Heyward to read the article would know that Aaron is black.

11. highlander

highlander Member

"Who was Rod Carew?"

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dude, it's Sandy Koufax.

Draft saved Draft deleted