1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaron Sorkin creating new HBO show based on reporters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doodah, Jan 20, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Really? And you know this how? He would have to turn in a writing sample that wasn't laced with profanity just to prove he could do it.

2. doodah

doodah Guest

Okay, I'm going to take a step back as to not embarrass myself further. Yes, he curses a lot. I think he would get hired just as a safe way to get eyeballs to a newspaper.

That's his shtick, cursing. It works for him. I think it works better for Deadspin/Gawker than it would in the regular journalism world.

Is that a better post?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is much better, yes. I think you greatly overestimate what his appeal would be to a newspaper, but that's just a matter of differing opinions.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ignoring the troll and moving along, except to say that someone who relies on newspapers would not recognize Drew Magery if someone swung Magery and hit him in the back of the head with Magery.

Anyhoo, TBS proved that the milieu of sports reporters interacting was a surefire assurance of a quality show.

5. doodah

doodah Guest

Thanks. I'm going to PM you.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'll assume you misspelled Magary to make your point, dooley.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Just bring back Sports Night.

And I'm Dan Rydell ...

8. doodah

doodah Guest

You've got a point, Stitch. Most newspapers don't allow cursing. I was arguing for the sake of arguing. For that I apologize and am an idiot.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I always thought this would be a great premise for a show. Some recent college grad sho schleps halfway across the country to Truck Nuts, Nebraska to start his journalism career, only to find out it is so much more than what he imagined. Bullshit from management. Bullshit from corporate which comes down on management. Bullshit from sources. And if you're a cops reporter in a small town, well, I'm sure that's a whole different bucket of chicken.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Best I can tell, it came from typing fast and being fallibly human.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt! It's the kind of thing you'd do. It wasn't snark ... honest.

12. doodah

doodah Guest

Haha.

Draft saved Draft deleted