1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaron Hernandez -- Guilty of 1st degree murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

People forget that.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also this ...

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The burden of proof in any murder trial, much less that of a celebrity, is very high. I'm totally convinced he did it, but the case was very circumstantial and some important pieces of evidence were not admitted.

Though they placed Hernandez at the scene, he was with two other men and any one of them could have pulled the trigger. There was little evidence to prove that Hernandez pulled the trigger, or that he was even complicit if one of the others pulled the trigger. Ultimately, it looks like the jury at the very least believed he was complicit in the murder.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I've dealt with some appeals where it was absolutely astounding that people were convicted of murder. Though some of that had to do with shaky informants who later recanted. I'd say juries are unpredictable, but I've seen bench trials that are head scratchers, too.

We've been round and round about this before here, and the consensus seemed to be that "America!", but I have very little faith in the adversarial trial system to get this shit right reliably enough to justify itself.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So is it safe to drop him from dynasty football rosters?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the Rhody house, 4/15/15 is The Day The Music Died.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Somehow, the Patriots just got a sixth-round pick from the Browns for him.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am mildly surprised by the verdict, as it is difficult to get a conviction without eyewitnesses or a murder weapon. But I think the defense's closing argument just defied credibility so much the jury went with the big pile of circumstantial evidence. I mean, our celebrity client was shocked and surprised by the murder he saw, but didn't try to cut a deal and rat out the two murderers? Come on.

11. Dick Whitman

Just don't call him injury prone.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

It's not as difficult as you think it is.

If America has one defining characteristic, it is the enthusiasm of its citizens to pass judgment on other citizens.

Draft saved Draft deleted