1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAFL On the Outs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Feb 29, 2008.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Anybody else get fake e-mails from the league that are made to look like e-mails from "fans" in your area? I've gotten quite a few ...

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

AFL? Fail? Depends on the definition, I suppose.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Basically the AAFL needs a TV deal and today (or tomorrow) is the deadline. I guess they were banking on the NFL Network saving them but it doesn't look like it's happening.

I'm not sure how many tickets they sold here in Florida, but I know they had the offer to play the Florida home opener right after the Gator spring game in hopes of keep the spring game crowd and they would take a percentage of concessions in lieu of ticket sales, but they turned it down.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, I got a couple of those. It was poorly done.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The American League sucks. NL all the way, baby.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yeah. Pitchers should hit for themselves, dammit!

7. Flash

Flash Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

PROTIP: If they're putting a team in Birmingham, it's going to fail hard.

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Didnt get that, but we got emails from a "freelance journalist" who did a piece on the local team.

We also got an email, supposedly from a former QB of the college team asking us to hype and cover the team and call him anytime. The # was correct for the player, but the syntax and style was very similar to the initial email from the "freelance" person.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

drinking a 40 or running a 40?

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Well that makes no sense ...

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There had to be some kind of weird deal that the AAFL was trying to actually affiliate with the universities -- maybe play in their stadiums, maybe appear on regional networks like the Big Ten Network, etc etc. Thus, I suppose, the otherwise completely idiotic, moronic rule that all players in the league must be college graduates, which right off the top eliminates about 60% of your potential player pool (and probably 80% of the guys who are actually any good at playing football).

Draft saved Draft deleted