1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AA charges soldier $100 for extra baggage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SockPuppet, Jul 30, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

One of my Army friends said the guy should have been aware of airline policies and that he could have had it taken care of (so he wouldn't be out of pocket) before his arrival.

Personally I'm on the fence with this one. I want to say they should have just pushed it through, considering what he does for our country. However, while somewhat federally controlled, it is a public airline, not a government entity, so the reason for each and every charge is for company profit. For that reason, I understand why they were enforcing the charge. In th end, it turned into an ugly situation for both.

While not in the military, my father is a man of uniform who deals with some of the worst scum in this country. He really appreciates when a place gives him a discount while in uniform, but he certainly doesn't expect it.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Back to the original point....

No, a soldier is not entitled to anything free. However, everything we have in this country comes from people who were willing to volunteer (or at times, were drafted) into service.

I don't have an extra $100, but I'd have paid it gladly.

Multiple times in my life, I've paid the check at a restaurant for a police officer. They are working for us, usually with more disdain than thanks.

You don't have to like the decisions of our commander-in-chief, just like you don't have to like the police officer that gave you a ticket for speeding.

But to not support and stand behind the individuals who do public service work is just wrong.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What if the guy is an awful soldier on the verge of a dishonorable discharge? Should he get free service then?

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

If you know or believe that, then go ahead. Me, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is different. Why should security be more lax for someone in uniform? Then terrorists would just shop at the Army Surplus store.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Because it's a fucking bottle of water carried by a female soldier. Use some fucking common sense and compassion.
    Oh, sorry, I forgot, this the TSA we're talking about, the agency invented by the anti-big government Republican party that excels in moving plastic bins from one side the "non-terrorist" zone to the "terrorist" zone.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I spend a shit-ton of (other people's) money on airline travel. Not $1 of it has gone to American Airlines. Stories like this confirm that choice for me.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They lost me when they made my primary checked bag disappear for a month and a half, some years back.

You don't get a second chance after that calibre of disaster, mateys.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So, seriously, you want the TSA to throw the rules out the window for everyone in a uniform? Now the rules may be stupid and all, I'll grant you that, but giving someone a pass because they are in uniform is pretty dumb.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

CNN picks up the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/08/13/troops.baggage/index.html

Draft saved Draft deleted