1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A year ago today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was juggling being a dad and trying to be a good journalist, as were many in my office and at other newspapers and television/radio stations in my state.
    I hope everyone took a moment today to remember. VCU did a moment of silence at noon and is doing a candlelight vigil tonight. Most schools in the state are doing something.
    The papers in this region have done plenty online and in print. I just read a couple of things on washingtonpost.com that left me in tears. That have a slideshow of the victims that is very well done and very hard to get through dry-eyed. I did not succeed.

RIP to the 32.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A year ago today ... a feature on the Green Bay Packers' offensive coordinator who was moved up from offensive line coach received the most hits on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's website. The Virginia Tech coverage received the second-most. Wisconsin is a very, very sick state.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Moddy, you and your family have been on my mind today, and in my prayers.

Prayers and good thoughts out to all connected to VT.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder, Moddy. I remember that CNN was on in the house, consistently giving us worthwhile updates to those not in Virginia. For once, a worthy time to tune in.

Today, a relative has that on CNN again. I'm somewhere else avoiding it. It was bad enough to experience it the first time, and unlike Moddy, I didn't have family there.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Or perhaps they were watching the minute-by-minute coverage on TV. Because I know if I want info on a shooting in Blacksburg, the first place I'd look would be the Milwaukee paper.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I was in London and I just remember feeling so disconnected from it. I also remember reading the timeline story in the Washington Post a few days after and knowing instantly it was a top-notch, Pulitzer Prize worthy story.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

A year ago today was my 8th wedding anniversary.............I remember thinking how many of lifes "events" were stolen from those 32 kids.

RIP

8. markvid

markvid Guest

A year ago, I remember sitting in a hotel restaurant in St. Louis, when the first dorm sooting reports came in, then as I went to work over at Busch, seeing NBC running special reports, getting a more sinking feeling as the day went on. A great campus that won't ever be the same, but I would hope, will never sour the love I have for that town.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was in my paper's newsroom trying to get our paper ready for its Tuesday deadline day when it happened.

I changed our refer from "On The Web" for a Web-only story to "Rememberance" and a teaser for a story I wrote about the local impact of the Virginia Tech massacre on my county.

10. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

That's a pretty stupid and pretentious statement to make.

Tell us what state you live in, and we can compare notes.

I've never been to Wisconsin. But every Wisconsinite I've ever met has been pretty fine people.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was getting my taxes done last year (the deadline was the 17th b/c the 15th fell on a Sunday) when it happened. Came home and was shocked to hear and read the news.

RIP to the 32 and thoughts and prayers with the entire VT family.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks ghandi.

Draft saved Draft deleted