1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A writing job with security!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

How about a gun without bullets? [/barney fife]

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Same here. And a bullet, dammit.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm surprised McClatchy hasn't thought of this.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Think the Plain-Dealer would go for a writer/window washer?

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That has to be the strangest hiring manager in the world to combine posts like that.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not to make (too much) light, but bad things do happen at universities sometimes. How thrilling to see they think so highly of the security position: "Practically the entire shift you will be able to focus on writing copy – you’ll just happen to be wearing a uniform." Yeah, tell that to the real cops when someone gets attacked on your watch.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Become a police officer -- practically the whole time you'll be eating doughnuts, except when the doughnut shop is being robbed.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Practically . . . yeah . .. 3:55 of ennui, interspersed with five minutes of sheer
    terror.

Riiiiiiiight.

9. In Exile

In Exile Member

I had a job like that once at Harvard Medical School. Instead of protecting the rich young doctors, on my minimum wage salary I waved everyone past me while I did crossword puzzles, read extensively, and worked on my craft, writing for myself.

Except for the clip on tie, polyester shirt and cop hat, it was the best writing job I ever had.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dear student:

We're sorry to see you withdrew and would like you to reconsider. Completing your studies and obtaining a degree is the best thing you can do for your future. The alternative? Talk to that security dude writing jingles.

Draft saved Draft deleted