1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A wonderful (culinary) night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Sep 29, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tonight, Mrs. tbf and I celebrate seven years of marriage (although the date is actually Monday).

We decided to stay home, instead of spending $100 at some restaurant with bad service.

So, I cooked us some nice filets, garlic mashed potatoes and a sauteed vegetable medley.

The filets were cooked as follows:

Melt 3 tbs butter
    Saute dark mushrooms until they give off their moisture
    Add salt, pepper to taste and 3 tbs flour
    Cook for five minutes
    Add 1 cup of cream, boil on high heat until it thickens
    add 3 tbs white wine and brandy (I skipped the wine and used Gentleman Jack)
    Cook until it's creamy and well mixed

Pour it out of the skillet, add more butter and cook filets for 4 mins per side for rare (that's the way we like 'em).

Remove the filets, deglaze the pan with more whiskey and return the sauce into the skillet to warm.

We topped it off with a $13 bottle of cabernet (we're cheap).

I wanted to make apple turnovers for dessert, but my pastry dough was too old, and it didn't work too well.

Anyone have any other good recipes for special occasions?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hey, congrats!

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I just made two exquisite peanut butter sandwiches, ate them and washed them down with a few chugs from a gallon of milk.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Peanut Butter and banana are more exotic. I'm a big fan of hamburger helper, myself, but I have a few recipes up my sleeve I would share if I got a PM asking for them.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think I have some instant mashed potatoes I'll be eating this evening. I'm low on groceries.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

That sig is muuuuuch better, spup.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yeah well, I deal with a crabby fiance when they don't play well, so I'll do whatever I can to jinx the other teams. I do love me some sexy rexy, though.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hit the Jack in the Box drive-thru a few hours ago. Their Bruschetta Chicken Ciabattas are to die for.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just fixed me a nice bowl of Chef B's Stuffed Beef Ravoli after a treeee-mendously satisfying Football Friday night. Ahh, good times. :D

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Three Bags: Your first serious answer!! For a different steak accompaniment, try shallot jam. Dice up about 1 lb of shallots and saute them in three tablespoons of butter for around 3-5 minutes until they start getting soft. Add 3/4 cup beef broth and 3/4 cup white wine, season with salt, white pepper, and thyme. Turn heat to low and cook until micture becomes one unified, jam-like mass, roughly 45 minutes to an hour.
    This is great for company, since it's very low-maintenance and doesn't interfere with pre-dinner drinks.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches . . . Elvis' last meal . . .

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that sounds damn good, gee. but i cook a lot and i finally gave up on anything with shallots because they're such a pain in the ass to peel. i think because they're so tiny they are tougher than regular onions for me to peel. or maybe it's just me.

Draft saved Draft deleted