1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A whole new approach in South Bend

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herky_Jerky, Apr 1, 2009.

1. I'm lost.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm also guessing that "local news" is in quotes for a reason. Or at the very least that it should have been local "news."

And you laugh, but my paper has functionally been doing the same thing for several months (as though we hadn't before). Of course, it's resulted in above-the-fold designs that look absurd and hasn't boosted single-copy sales. But hey. At least we're doing something.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

st. louis cardinals.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And here's the greatest idea of all!

We can take our 'local news', which we've been putting in the paper and charging customers for it, and put it in this Internet thing.

And best of all, we won't charge our customers to use it!

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

But, what if you're tabloid format and there is no fold? Then what the hell are you supposed to do!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you make your best stories easily accessible, there's no reason for many readers to get to the rest of the paper.

You should put your best story on a random, inside page, forcing the reader to look at ads as they dig through trying to find it.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

You'll just have to be more innovative, bring more value-added content to the table, and think outside the box going forward.

I just threw up in my mouth a little...

8. mb

mb Active Member

It's a shame this came too late for the P-I.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Are they still filling out hourly productivity reports?

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Watch it there. (hopelesscardinalsfan) :)

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Seriously, folks: What's the deal with the productivity reports? Still being done?

12. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Not sure.

Sports guys never really had to do these, so I have no idea what their status is.

If they're still doing them, I'm sure that on the day of that meeting, someone wrote on theirs, "9 a.m.: Came up with a way to save newspapers -- put important stories above the fold."

Draft saved Draft deleted