1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A week without the AP ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell, I've written games off TV and radio broadcasts before. Nothing illegal about it.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not fair-use but public domain. There was a federal case a few years ago where MLB sued fantasy baseball companies because they wouldn't pay for the rights to use player names and stats. The courts ruled that stats and other info is in the public domain.

Getting the info isn't the problem. It's getting it nicely packaged.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Public domain. Good, I knew I wasn't getting quite to the root of the thing. I probably nodded off that day in class.

4. HejiraHenry

Five down, two to go.

I have enjoyed getting to look at stuff from Reuters, as we got a free trial this week. Their service is waaay too expensive for us to use routinely, though.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

6. JoJo

JoJo Member

What did you end up doing for your baseball and other agate material?

7. HejiraHenry

Found objects. And we have been working a little this week with a service called SportsDirect.

For MLB, we were not able to get where we needed to be for box scores – getting those in a form you can use in newspapers anywhere other than AP seems to be real complicated, perhaps by design – so we're running the old-school linescores.

8. JoJo

JoJo Member

Ah, I see. I talked with my mom the other day (I'm originally from around the Tupelo area) and asked her if she noticed a lack of AP in the paper. And, of course, she didn't until I mentioned it. So this whole week without the AP thing must not be noticeable for the average reader.

9. HejiraHenry

An interesting point. There was internal debate about how "transparent" we wanted to be about what we were doing. The decision, made above my head, was that we would do this without much comment in the newspaper itself and then the editor may write a column later.

It's been partly frustrating and also pretty interesting. But it's way too much additional work to do with existing staff on a routine basis.

10. HejiraHenry

... And the week "without AP" is over. Whew.

11. HejiraHenry

Two Monday morning calls about not having MLB box scores. Same guy, called twice.

12. jrw

jrw Member

I'm sure he was trying to get the stats for his fantasy baseball team.

Draft saved Draft deleted