1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A week without the AP ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Hi, this is Joe Girardi calling in my game tonight."

"Hi, Joe, so who won?"

"Um, I think we won, either 12-1, or 13-1. Let me recheck the scorebook here ..."

Reporter waits several minutes.

"OK, we won 13-1. Derek Jeter went 4-for-5.

"Jeter? How do you spell that name?"

"J E T E R. And Alex Rodriguez went 3 for 3 with three homers. But if it's possible, can you get in Colin Curtis' name in? He came in the ninth inning and played good defense."

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And, honestly, we might end up there someday. But not now, for a variety of reasons.

3. If the assistant coach forgets, think of all the angry calls you're going to get from Jeter's and A-Rod's moms.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Curious to hear how it goes, Henry. Hopefully well.

As someone at a 25K daily who deals mostly with news pages these days, I agree that this move will be tougher on the news desk, especially regarding photos.

We have tight papers when we don't think twice about limiting AP to nation, world and state roundups, but sure enough, a few people will call and complain that we "intentionally" left out coverage of, say, a terrorism trial or something. In our area, anyway, more people are looking for big world/nation stories than you'd think.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's gold, man.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Uh, I don't have first names on their guys."

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Joe, what's your record?"

"Oh, I think we're 49-35 now. Or maybe 34. Yeah, we're 47-34."

"Um, OK. Do you have the Sox's record?

"No. And hey, can you run the information about our camp next week?"

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Except the coach spelled his player's name correctly. :)

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

During the spring there are some days on end where we could fill four pages of local and never touch the wire. Of course, our readers want their MLB boxes and local pro gamers and would throw a hissy fit.

10. HejiraHenry

OK, one day down and six to go.

Learned a lot this afternoon and I don't feel like we missed too much stuff that AP had in its report.

NCAA basketball tourney? MCT with a dash of rewrite.
    All-Star Game? L.A. Times via MCT.
    British Open? Orlando via MCT.
    Tour de France L.A. Times via MCT.
    World Cup follo? Miami via MCT.
    Favre's Hattiesburg workout? Woulda been nice, especially the AP fotos.

Our wire art mostly came from Reuters.

No surprise, agate was a lot of additional work. And wrestling with baseball boxes later in the week will be a bitch.

And whereas there are sometimes as many as 3 of us in here on Saturday, I might be in here by myself. Ouch.

11. Not to burst your balloon, but all of those stories happened early in the news cycle. Three of 'em were in Europe. What happens on deadline will be key, I think. AP is usually (ducking to avoid objects being thrown) faster on deadline.

12. HejiraHenry

No question, you are correct.

I can already see that the only real way to cover ourselves on the All-Star Game is to essentially write our own running lede. Delightful!

But useful. It's useful to be able to develop some time-and-motion metrics for all this stuff we take for granted thanks to AP.

Draft saved Draft deleted