1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Very SJ.com Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Columbo,

I am assuming that you are referring to my use of "casa". It's just something I do, not an identifier of race.

U less I have misunderstood, something I am very capable of.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We're doing it at a restaurant for the third time in 4 years. Given the number of usual suspects and the size of the apartments/houses of the attendees, there are only two potential hosts, neither of whom wants the job. Not happy about it, but not in a position to do anything about the situation.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Beware of waiters who sing "Deck the halls wif boughs of horry, fa-ra-ra-ra-ra ... ra-ra-ra-ra."

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Not looking forward to Thanksgiving (or Christmas) this year. It's usually at my folks' house, but my dad called yesterday and said he and Mom -- married 45 years -- are no longer living together. So it's T-giving at our place this year. Not sure who all will be there, but usually there's 20 or so. Both the parents have been invited, so it could be awkward. I just want to get through Thanksgiving and Christmas so Mrs. Flip and I can head to Cancun and lay on the beach for a few days and forget about all the crap that's happening around here this year.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Right sentiment, wrong holiday

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nah Dirk...

It was Legume.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

4 T butter
    1 large onion
    2 medium leeks, white part only, chopped

1 lb. canned or fresh pumpkin puree
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon curry powder
    ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
    1 bay leaf

1 cup half-and-half

In medium soup pot, melt butter. Saute onion and leek, stirring occasionally, until soft.

Stir in pumpkin, chicken broth, salt, spices, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove the bay leaf. Puree mixture in batches in a blender or food processor for smoother texture.

(May be refrigerated for 2 days, or may be frozen.)

Return to soup pot. Add half-and-half and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Check out the side saddle and sig, slapper.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

10. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

i agree. we've been doing that for a couple of years, and it's amazing. the turkey stays really juicy, and you don't even have to baste it.

as for the rest of the fare, the standouts for me have to be our homemade creamed corn and apple pie. mmmm.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

FRA-GEE-LAY. Hmmm ... must be French.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This year's Turkey Day hangout (first non-family one, in a good while) has a bottle of
    100-year-old Grand Marnier stashed away.

I'll be getting at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted