1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A very grand post

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Or if people are going to do it, at least do it a better way. Make it a somewhat constructive thread, instead of just tooting one's own horn that you have 1000 posts on a message board.

Example: When I hit 10K, I made a thread 10,000 Quotes From The Simpsons. That thread went on for days as people posted memorable quotes.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just get a picture like mine and never explain what or who it is. It adds to the mystery.

Oh, and I apparently went over 100 days on this site today. I guess I should have started a thread.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, good golly. I'll read every word, though, because he's at least a good dude. And because Doc Rivers is great at everything, of course.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But seriously, Mikey, a lame thread on its own terms is harmless. But having too many lame threads of the same kind at one time can give people the general impression that there's not much at sj other than silly stuff, and not want to stick around. Too many 1K threads, too many TV Guide threads, stuff like that.

And if you put an "Anything but" option, I am so there.

And hank, you said a constructive option.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point.
    That's what I want.
    At least have a point, not just I love everyone. I have 1,000 posts and I am really happy.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Of course, that 10K post was a year ago and I'm at something like 12K now.

(And, if a 20K, 10K milestone thread is probably ok, but this rash of 1K threads is completely ridiculous). I think I had only heard of one of those thread starters.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

now, i refuse to let my viewpoints in this thread stop me from starting a lame 20k post thread next year.

8. If you would split some of your posts into two or three posts you'd have 20,000-plus posts - and then maybe I would read some of them.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree with you, Dools. But I don't know. Maybe I'm unique, but it took me a while to even migrate over to the "Everything Else" side of the options -- probably at least a from June to October; one of my first strings of posts were about Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS.

I went to this site strictly for the journalism. A few lame threads on another section wouldn't have pushed me away because the other half of it were/are so beneficial.

If anything, in my opinion, the threads -- though most times providing nothing constructive -- are a way to further familiarize oneself with the other folks around here. I used my 10,000 as a thank you to everyone else. It wasn't the best thread, and it very well could have been the worst. But I didn't care about what others thought. I felt I had a responsibility to show you folks the appreciation you deserved by being cool to me.

Maybe a little bit is for the attention -- some more than others, I suppose -- but I really see no harm in it. I never would have done it at 1,000 or even 5,000 (I just insulted Write-brained in a long post, which just seemed right). But we're all a little bit different. And I'm cool with whatever thread is out there, providing it's not created for the sole purpose of malicious degradation toward another member.

10. That's when I knew you had arrived.

Sniff, my boy's all growed up. :'(

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And it was the first post of mine sigged. Quite an honor, indeed.

12. And it may have been the only time you took a swipe at someone other than yourself. The honor is all mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted