1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Twitter feed wonders if Josh Hamilton is getting preferential treatment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

When what you do enters a police blotter, that's trouble. Doc and Straw's actions did. Hamilton just got drunk (as far as we know). He fell off the wagon and landed on his feet. Doc and Straw fell of the wagon and landed in a holding tank with guys who wanted to see them drop the soap. Big, Big difference.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware of the drop the soap part. Do you have a link?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My point wasn't about being perfect or holier than thou or judging Hamilton's actions in that bar that night. It certainly wasn't about whether or not Hamilton needs the money, though you don't know that he doesn't -- plenty of guys pulling down major league millions have gone bankrupt.

My point was about consumers and business and fairness.

Say you hired Hamilton to speak to your organization. Paid him, say, $10,000. He comes, delivers his ``sober since Oct. 2005'' speech and goes.

Now you find out he wasn't sober since 2005, and he knowingly took your money anyway.

Do you not have the right to feel duped? That he sold you a bill of goods? Do you not have the right to demand your money back?

He delivered a product that was not as advertised -- himself. He sold that product under false pretenses.

Again, the struggle with alcohol and drugs is not the issue here. It's the sales and marketing.

And in that sense, Josh Hamilton is a fraud and a con man, no different than the guy selling phony Rolex watches on the street.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sorry Ace no links on soap dropping.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Do you know for an absolute fact that Hamilton has specifically said in his motivationals over the past few months since his relapse that he has been, "sober since October 2005?"

If you do and he has, then you have a point. If not, then you are assuming something that's not verified and may not be true.

Based on my own experience, I would make the argument that his relapse would enhance rather than detract from his message, because it would drive home the point of just how insidious this disease really is.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Those were also some of my thoughts, albert. Well put.

7. Those pictures were more than "falling off the wagon."

The guy was eating whipped cream off of tits that didn't belong to his wife. Very hard for me to believe that was his first time drinking since going sober.

Draft saved Draft deleted