1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Twisted Sister pin?? ON YOUR UNIFORM??? 25 years later???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 30, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

WHAT DO YOU WANNA DO WITH YOUR LIFE??

Well, according to The Onion last year, the members of Twisted Sister are now willing to take it: http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/members_of_twisted_sister

But we'll pretend just for today that they still are in their full in-your-face rocking glory from 1984. Because today, 25 years later, Twisted Sister's multi-platinum "Stay Hungry" album is re-released as a two-disc seet.

[​IMG]

If you were a rock & roll teenager of the '80s, you loved Twisted Sister videos. They were mini movies, featuring the guy who played Niedermayer in "Animal House," parodying his character. "We're Not Gonna Take It" pissed off every parent in the suburbs when a guitar-playing teen riffed his Niedermayer-ish father through the upstairs window after sitting through a minute long spitting-and-screming lecture, before morphing into Dee Snider and taking over the house.

Niedermayer was back in the sequel video for "I Wanna Rock," playing a prep school teacher who also gets trampled by Twisted Sister after an opening rant.

Yes, the in-your-face anthem of every 15-year-old rocker of the 1980s is re-released in two-disc glory today, 25 years later.

"We're Not Gonna Take It" and "I Wanna Rock" took over the MTV airwaves in the mid-80s. The video featured the guy who played Niedermayer in the Animal House movies and gave him a second life in Twisted Sister videos that followed. Twisted Sister was on MTV in the '80s more often than Lauren Conrad is today.

And then they weren't. As quickly as they rose to fame, they vanished. They were at the forefront of Senate hearings about violence in music, with Dee Snider testifying and being called "Mr. Sister." MTV banned a video from their next album as offensive, perhaps because Billy Joel was in it.

So take a moment to remember one of the greatest MTV eras with a couple of Twisted Sister videos:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

BYH chimes in in 3... 2... 1...

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is probably the best Twisted Sister song, although is a horrible rendition of it.....

And anyone who really needs their fix of Twisted Sister should buy the Christmas album they put out a few years ago, it goes over really well at holiday parties, particularly those attended by plenty of people who are children of the 1980's.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I was flicking around the TV this morning and saw Dee Snider on Fox News, but didn't stay long enough to find out why. Now I know.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Dee Snider had a nice little radio career to fall back on, working on House of Hair, heard on your local rock station on the weekends. Also did a morning show in Hartford.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Makes me think of Pee Wee riding his bike.

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I wanna rock.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because ...
    ?

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

One album wonder. Quickly went to shit following Stay Hungry. And they were absolutely horrible before it.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

fixed.

Pedestrian bar band that caught lightning in a bottle one time.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I Wanna Rock was a hit.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Only because it rode the long coat tails of We're Not Gonna Take It.

A weak song (and I'm trying to be kind here). Rudimentary musicianship, about the same musical creativity and imagination of any number of thousands of high school garage bands, lyrically slightly above a nursery rhyme.

Draft saved Draft deleted