1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Touch of Irony From Peter King MMQB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Quote of the Week III

"People see what I do and forget who I am and they really don't know who I am. Working with kids is what I do. I have over 100 kids in the NFL -- I called them kids, but they're young adults -- that I text every morning, Monday through Friday.''
    -- Deion Sanders, in an interview on NFL Network Sunday.

Sanders was an adviser to Michael Crabtree, the 49ers' first-round draft choice who had the longest holdout of any pick this year, and Sanders' statement that two teams were willing to pay Crabtree at least $40 million a year was part of the reason the 49ers filed tampering charges against the Jets. Then, Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant was suspended by the NCAA for lying about his relationship with Sanders.

First, it's dubious that NFL Network can have Sanders on the air commenting on anything relating to Crabtree when he's advising him. Second, there's no question Sanders is good on TV and makes good analytical points about all aspects of the game. The problem is, you don't know when you're listening to him who his sacred cows are, who he's training, who he's taken under his wing.

Is he over-praising Ray Lewis or Ed Reed because he's so tight with them? Or is he over-praising scores of other players because he's worked out with them or advised them or mentored them or exchanged texts with them before and after games?

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/10/11/week5/2.html#ixzz0TlAMCsD2
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If he thinks the Vikings are better than the Saints and Giants, he had something slipped into his Starbucks.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

40 million a year?

Someone's talking out of their ass.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sanders advises college players, so it's consensual[/crossthread]

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - Is he overvaluing the Vikings because he is tight with Brett Favre?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Unpossible!

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hear Deion goes for early morning runs with Mary Beth.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

If you ever see video of Eisen after Deion and Michael finish off one of their "yeh boy....anfg;andvkljblafkvaklbva........das rite, baby" deals?

He looks like someone shit in his pants.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good to see Deion "mentoring the youth." ::) ::)

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He was dead on when he said the schedule ESPN has for Monday Night Football looks a whole lot better than it did at the start of the year. MNF seems to end up with a lot of interdivision games that don't include the NFC East - not a bad year to get the Saints, Broncos and Vikings multiple times. (and it isn't like King is drawing a check from ESPN).
    Meanwhile, NBC has the Panthers, Titans and the Cardinals.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oh....and Indianapolis.

2 weeks in a row they've had the Colts.

After watching bits and pieces of the Colts/Cards and Colts/Titans games, I'm fully convinced Jim Caldwell is one of two things.....

Deaf.

Listening to Yanni in his headset instead of his coaches.

The dude does not speak. I swear. I haven't seen him say a word to anyone on the sideline, the box, the field......nothin.

I think Ray Lewis could sodomize Peyton with a rake at mid-field, and he would still stand there with that out-there glare that my old dog would reckognize as "no-no"

Draft saved Draft deleted