1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Toll of 2000

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The war in Afghanistan reached a sad milestone this week - 2000 soldiers killed in the on going 11 year war.

In tribute to the fallen The New York Times yesterday ran photos of each soldier killed. All 2000.

Article is heartbreaking. It points out that the 1990th soldier killed was a 21 year old Marine name Gregory Buckley who was only 10 years old when the war started.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/us/war-in-afghanistan-claims-2000th-american-life.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=us

2. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I wouldn't have known that had I not read it here. During the last administration's war on Iraq we had daily counts by the networks. Watching two off an on I have yet to hear about it.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have to give The Times credit. They publish a list everyday of those killed in combat.
    I thought what they did yesterday was extraordinary. Too bad more don't read The Times.

Would agree with you that the coverage has been lacking. Other than Morning Joe it's rarely discussed on the cable shows.

I don't know how anyone could view those 4 pages yesterday and not be heartbroken for the families.

Draft saved Draft deleted