1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Thanksgiving Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Nov 5, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

LinZee. Gotta have a LinZee too...

I had a 16 pounder for 11 people last year and it worked out fine... I like Platyr's idea, in theory, but unless you cook them the day before and reheat, you lose all your oven space for dressing/stuffing, casserole or anything else....
    For 15 people? use the frozen bird...

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The place where were thinking of buying doesn't claim that the turkey is free range, only that is is "specially farm bred". Their steaks are as good as any that I've had, so I'm guessing that the quality is high.

We have two ovens, but I don't know if we have the space for two turkeys, plus all of the side dishes.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I cook a turkey about once a month. I have not used a frozen bird in probably 10 years. Taste and reliability on quality, but also because you don't have to defrost the thing.

You can get fresh turkeys at the grocery store for like $1.19 per pound. When I lived closer to a turkey farm, I bought them there because I like supporting local farmers, but really I do not notice a lot of difference. Usually for Thanksgiving we buy at a butcher shop, mostly because it's worry-free -- you know it's going to be there, at the right size, when you pick it up Wednesday rather than having to take up space in your fridge for a few days.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

"I think I'll get a baby turkey ... pound, pound-and-a-half ..." [/InspectorLuger]

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My wife makes cranberry sauce. It's not difficult and there's a significant difference over canned. We like canned and use it most of the year, but for a special occasion when the berries are in season, it's worth it.

The one thing that makes a huge difference is using turkey stock for the gravy. I make some ahead of time from grocery-store turkey wings and freeze it. It gives the gravy a body and a flavor that you can't get any other way.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Darling, wasn't it just so clever of your sister to call that wonderful caterer last year, I just love how they carved the radishes into little portraits of the children, can you imagine what that cost? They must be doing very well, your father always feared she'd be a manicurist, and now she has a catered Thanksgiving! Although the turkey seemed, oh, I shouldn't say, but did it seem to be store-bought? You can always tell, it has that slight taste of styrofoam and pennies, it's just not the same, is it? It just seems that if you can have radishes carved to look like the children, it might be best to go with the fresh turkey for just a few extra dollars? Of course it's not up to me, I'm just so pleased to be included, have you had a mammogram yet this year, dear, I'm going today, I'll call when I'm done...'

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

21, except for the mammogram part, you're pretty close my conversation with Mama W. You left out the part where she insists on bringing the mushroom barley soup and the kasha varnishkes from the deli in Brooklyn, because "all the fancy food that your wife likes to serve, it would be nice to walk out of here full for a change."

8. Flash

Flash Guest

But Thanksgiving was almost a month ago?

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Damn Canadians.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You couldn't have just PM'd that to me, so I could steal it and use it here on Thanksgiving? 8)

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

17 days till the return of Crossed Giblets of Death. The anticipation builds.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Love to eat .. turkey. Love to eat .. tur-ur-key!

Love to eat turkey,
    cause it's good
    Love to eat turkey,
    like a big boy should
    Cause it's turkey,
    to eat,
    so good.

Draft saved Draft deleted