1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Swift and wasted career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Mar 8, 2013.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Former SuperSonics top pick Robert Swift leaves foreclosed home after squatting in it for a little while...leaving behind a mess of epic proportions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/robert-swift-left-foreclosed-upon-house-leaving-massive-184535504--nba.html

What a waste of seven feet.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So when can Greg Oden move in?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He's pretty fly-blown for a white guy.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Swift represented the high point (low point?) in the lunacy of drafting high schoolers. I think a little as three months before the draft he was on nobody's radar. Then someone noticed a 7-footer who could move and, bam, lottery pick. But he would have been a project at any D1 program, let alone in the NBA.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'd be wary of what comes next.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Robert Swift and Korleyone Young...you have to wonder what they would have done if they would have went to college for a couple of years. I like that the NBA has tried to address this problem (young guys that want to play professional, but not ready for the league) with the NBADL, but the execution of this program has been awful. They use the NBADL like a farm system and nothing more. I am not really familiar with the programs the NBADL offers. I am curious if they have any kind of "adjustment" training that is more than just lip service.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Robert Swift was rated as a five-star recruit by the middle of his senior year. He hadn't received much exposure until going to Bakersfield High as a senior, though.

Kwame Brown was relatively unknown (as a four-star recruit) until his senior year, then went first overall. Before his fast emergence in January and February 2001, Brown was not expected to declare at all and everyone assumed the top pick would be Eddy Curry or Tyson Chandler.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He was Rivals' 14th-rated college prospect in 2004.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-273

He went 12th in the NBA draft.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I didn't say it was a good pick. And, for what it's worth, we have no idea if he could have been decent because of the injuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted