1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A student I used to know took their life on Easter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 15, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Soap Box Derby is a very cool event in Fredericksburg.

Not having anywhere to turn is exactly what I cannot understand.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did I miss it? I don't see anything in there about suicide.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Friend of mine overdosed on pain pills on Sunday morning.

I miss her so much already.

4. 93Devil

I'm sorry, OTR.

Hopefully you this can be one of the different ways you can deal with your loss.

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

That's the assumption/inference. I didn't see it in the obit, either.

(Disclaimer: No disrespect to 93Devil, or anyone else who has been affected by this or something like this.)

Given that, though, suicide is a difficult subject to raise or deal with. A woman I know, when I first met her, told me about her brother's death and I apologized and asked, "Do you mind me asking how?"

"Suicide."

I didn't know what to say. But I offered her my condolences. She didn't say too much about it after that. I later found out that her brother was a lacrosse star who killed himself in his dorm room, and that it was a shock to the entire family - no signs of depression, bipolarism, etc, etc ...

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

She was fantastic. We'd lose touch with each other for months at a time, but she always showed up for my birthday beer-drinking session with friends each November. Always bought a round.

She fought migraines for 15 years. The kind that they tried surgery on, etc., to no avail. I'd like to think she accidentally took too many pills, but it could very well be that she was just sick of the pain.

7. 93Devil

None taken, but it seems pretty spelled out in the obit that what happened might have been avoidable with more help.

8. TheSportsPredictor

I certainly wouldn't be posting someone's obit online and saying she killed herself if I didn't know it to be true.

9. 93Devil

Do you want me to call the house?

10. TheSportsPredictor

If that is the way you wish to confirm it before posting their private details that you don't know about on a message board, then go ahead.

11. 93Devil

Everyone, just let this thread go away and stop posting on it.

I will.

Draft saved Draft deleted