1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A slap in the face of the high and mighty writers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, May 8, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I felt slapped... The same way I do whenever I read a horribly-written column.

A good columnist has a point of view... But a good columnist is also smart enough to either avoid the facts that don't back up his point of view or to stick to points of view that carry persuasive facts with them. His column is based on that recent poll. And his argument is that ONLY half of the people polled wish Bonds wasn't about the break the record? That 58 percent of people think he should be in the Hall of Fame? Jeez.

If he was legit, and public opinion wasn't against him, those numbers would be 100 percent want to see him break the record and 100 percent think he is a Hall of Famer. He's about to break the most storied record in sports and end a career with numbers that put him in the top 1 percent of players who ever played the game. And 42 percent of the public doesn't think he should be in the Hall of Fame. Doesn't that make the exact opposite case that the columnist was making?

50 percent of the people polled wish he would just go away. Isn't that telling of something OTHER than the fact that the media is overstating how much the public dislikes him? Bonds should be getting Lindbergh-type parades, yet 42 percent don't even want to see him in the Hall of Fame.

What an awful column. It's OK to have a point of view that the game has changed, that the BBWAA voters are all dinosaurs, etc. But if you are going to throw that kind of poll data into your column, how can you honestly argue that it supports your argument? 42 percent of the people polled don't think the guy who is about to be the all-time HR champion should be in the Hall of Fame. I'd say that's a pretty persuasive argument that "the media" (as if "the media" is this one entity that marches in lock step) is pretty much reporting it like it is.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just so, Ragu.

What would the numbers be if Griffey Jr. were approaching the record?

Upon that one question -- unless you think the numbers would be comparable -- this entire column falls down around itself.

I mean, I despise Barry Bonds, and I think he should be in the HOF. The fact that his number there is 58 percent AMONG THE GENERAL PUBLIC is clearly a damnation, not an affirmation.

It's also worth noting that he needs a lot more than 58 percent of the vote from writers to get in, so the cheap shots at the BBWAA are equally meaningless.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just see a trend here, not unique, but a trend.

Any time the media gets criticized for this or anything else, there's a faction of the media who begin to kick and scream as if to say, "How DARE you criticize us! We're above this!"

Well, we're not. The media does make mistakes. I do, you do, our bosses do. So instead of knee-jerk arguments every time, maybe it would behoove us to try to understand what they're saying.

I think the FACT that the American public isn't quite as universal in its hatred of Bonds that we thought it was ... this should be telling to us, and an indication that we might have allowed our personal biases and value judgments get in the way of the straight story.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

But where have the universal hatred of Bonds voices actually come from? My guess is it's more from sports radio and talking heads shows than the print media. There are those that do both, but on the whole there are at the most 20 regulars as far as sports columnists at daily newspapers that get national airtime. That's hardly representive of the entire nation of sportswriters.

I honestly think the idea that the entire media continually bashes Bonds itself is overrated.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree that we're not above criticism, but the fact that even 42% think Bonds doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame speaks a lot to just how many people believe he cheated.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The other thing about these stats is that both sides can use them to make their arguments. And that doesn't make for a cut and dried case.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Shot --

That poll tells me more people hate Bonds more deeply than I thought.

Honestly, that was my first reaction. I really didn't imagine 42 percent of people wanting him out of the HOF.

Make of that what you will. It has nothing to do with criticizing the media, IMHO.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My big problem with the column is that he needs to be specific instead of general.

If he wants to write the Red Smith ripped Bonds or that Ring Lardner called for him to be drug tested with a dirty needle or that Shirley Povich is starting a petition to keep him out of the Hall of Fame, great.

Writing the media thinks this or the media says that isn't writing. That's Talk Radio.

9. Ace --
    As is, I would argue, asserting steroid use without proof, and declining to believe the results of the steroid testing you demanded two years eariler, and there's been a lot of that around the sports pages over the past four years.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fine. Write that. It's clear that people really aren't so worked up about the whole 'roids thing. I believe I have read that in a newspaper or two.

11. creamora

creamora Member

shotglass says, "I think the FACT that the American public isn't quite as universal in its hatred of Bonds that we thought it was ... this should be telling to us, and an indication that we might have allowed our personal biases and value judgments get in the way of the straight story."

Props! That is an amazingly refreshing point of view.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

he agrees with me! yay! you're right!

Draft saved Draft deleted