1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sign of things to come in college

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Apr 1, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Tell your kids that big brother is watching.

By Kathy Boccella
    The Philadelphia Inquirer
    PHILADELPHIA — Along with SAT scores and extra-curricular activities, college-bound students increasingly are being asked to divulge information that may not be so flattering: their arrest and discipline records.
    Since late summer, the Common Application, a form used by about 300 institutions, has asked students and guidance counselors whether the applicant has ever been convicted of a crime or disciplined at school.
    Kids with rocky pasts may not make it beyond 12th grade.
    In an effort to weed out troublemakers before they hit campus, colleges with their own forms also are requiring prospective students to disclose behavioral black marks. More are contemplating it.
    The University of Pennsylvania put its admissions policy under review after the discovery in January that a 25-year-old child molester taking graduate courses was commuting from his Bucks County, Pa., prison cell. Saint Joseph’s University will ask about applicants’ misdeeds beginning next year.
    “It’s an issue that’s exploding,” said Timothy Mann, dean of student affairs at Babson College, who is writing his doctoral dissertation on the subject.
    The debate over whether to screen and for what is contentious. Opponents cite privacy issues and the risk of penalizing offenders twice. Education encourages rehabilitation, argues the United States Student Association, the nation’s largest student group.
    “Are we now putting institutions of higher education in the position of dispensing post-judicial punishment?” Barmak Nassirian of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers asked.
    Offenders can still slip in. “No background check is foolproof,” cautioned Stephanie Hughes, a professor at the University of Northern Kentucky and security expert who owns RiskAware, which runs background checks on college employees.
    Federal law prevents most schools from releasing educational records — including disciplinary information — without a parental approval. Counselors can leave the questions blank, a spokesman for the Common Application said. And schools don’t always know about the trouble students get into off campus.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Liability. Is there any other reason anybody does anything like this?

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

How about because they can?

I have absolutely zero problem with a criminal record being something which must be put out there on the table. You do the crime...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Consequences for your actions. What a revolutionary concept. ::) ::)

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I gots no problem with this.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A college asking for your criminal/police record when you apply, I've got no problem with that.

I thought your disciplinary record was part of your "permanent record" that got shipped off to colleges anyway ;D

7. boots

boots New Member

I think your disciplinary record is part of the transcript. The other could be viewed as an invasion of privacy especially since you're talking about minors.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since most juvenile records are sealed by the court, wouldn't the applicant be under no obligation to reveal his/her past crimes?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Will there be a lawsuit when some kid gets declined admission because he was in a fight or had an MIP, but Joe Runningback with his three arrests is welcomed with open arms?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think the first lawsuit will be over a kid not revealing an arrest that was sealed by the court.

11. boots

boots New Member

What is an MIP?

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Minor in Possession (of booze).

Draft saved Draft deleted