1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A scenario where Boise State could be voted the AP champion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Dec 9, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I think you mean beerholder. How do we know how sober the people entering the data into the computers are LOL

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think an unbeaten team would have a darn good chance of being voted above two-loss teams. And even if Louisville wins, the Big East gets about as little respect as Boise State. Even without your exaggerated scenario, Boise has a decent shot at top five.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There is no national champion in Division I-A. Ask the NCAA.

4. Interesting scenario dooley, but I can't see any way Boise gets higher than 4th or 5th.

5. dooley_womack1

You're probably right, and I posited this as far-fetched from the get-go. Just seemed like something to ponder.

Another look at this: Let's say that the Boise State blowout of Oklahoma I posited at the beginning took place during the non-conference season, and Boise was 12-0 for the regular season. Might they be playing for the national title then?

6. yes, they might. It's a great system, isn't it?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, that's the difference between "they beat Oklahoma" and "they might beat Oklahoma"

8. dooley_womack1

Well, they haven't received the chance to, till now. It's a valid reverie, what it would take for Boise to receive any respect, and if a big regular-season victory over a BCS conference power would have led to that respect, as if that would be more valuable than a similar victory in a bowl. All we have now is a snort when we wonder if Boise State is just as good as anyone else, but no real proof, other than a result from a different season against Georgia, a game that is treated like an eternal litmus test/dagger.

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

The best thing Boise State can do is beg to be part of the Pac10 and get the hell out of the WAC.

In Idaho, the only people foolish enough to belive that BSU is a legit national title contender are the homer fans and the Boise newspaper that's catering to the homer fans to sell papers.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, but since the Pac=10 works in pairs, who would it go in with?

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Pac-10 has always had a raging boner for Colorado, hasn't it?

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I agree. The only split I could see is Michigan-Florida. I don't think AP voters would put Boise State ahead of Ohio State if Florida wins the BCS title game.

Obama for prez!

Draft saved Draft deleted