1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A scenario where Boise State could be voted the AP champion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Dec 9, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I discussed this with a good friend on here. He didn't say if it was possible, but that he'd love to see it. I thinking along the lines of only three games mattering in the reverie.

Let's say that leading up to the BCS title game, USC defeats Michigan and Boise State kicks the living crap out of Oklahoma -- 49-0 or 56-9, let's say. Then in the title game, Florida edges Ohio State by, let's say, 19-14 or 23-17, in a ragged game with lots of mistakes.

Michigan and USC can't win it; they'd have two losses each. Ohio State can't win it; they would have lost the game that mattered. Then it comes down to one-loss Florida and undefeated Boise, assuming that Louisville doesn't have enough cred yet, even with only one loss. Might there be enough pollsters convinced by the Boise effort I described (over a team many people considered a one-loss team and that was perhaps the hottest in the country down the stretch) to believe that Boise State's undefeated season was legitimate, after all, and give it the title over once-beaten Florida?

I don't know if I believe it could happen, but the possibility intrigues.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I would love to see what Urban Whiner would say about that.

3. dooley_womack1

BTW, I saw Obama on a Leno repeat late last night. He seems like he's pretty sharp and can win some people over.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I think a split national championship is more likely.

A) Florida defeats Ohio State
    B) Michigan beats down Southern Cal

Florida wins the BCS championship. AP voters switch again, knowing that Florida already has a championship, and declare Michigan No. 1.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My mother LOVES, I mean LOVES, Obama.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just as there were anti-OSU/Michigan rematch votes in the Harris and USA Today polls, I think there would be anti-BCS, pro-chaos votes by some AP voters if dooley's scenario plays out ...

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Obama has a better chance of winning the national title than Boise.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

What JD said.

Plus, it could help the prospects of someday, someday, having a playoff.

Hell, I'd settle for four teams. Keep the bowls. One extra game.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Obama can throw a football over dem' mountains.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'll be a ballerina and fuck another ballerina before Boise passes a Florida team that beats Ohio State, even if they do it by stabbing everyone in the face.

11. dooley_womack1

And that'd be different, how?

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"Ballerina Girl" by Lionel Richie should get more airplay.

Draft saved Draft deleted