1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A run-in with a cyclist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 7, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I can see both sides of it. You should have told the guy to get the fk out of your face, though. There's a way to have a conversation with someone.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was outnumbered. No point in escalating it.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How fast are you going, what type of road are you on and what time of day is it? All are factors in the douchebaggery level.
    If it's a two-lane road where the speed limit is 45 or 55 mph (or even 25-35 mph) and you ride like that, then it's the pack of cyclists who are being the assholes for holding up traffic and creating a hazard. Cyclists have a right to the road, but they should also yield to faster vehicles and use common sense.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

21-30 cyclisits riding three abreast should be illegal

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think in most places, the bikes every right to be in the middle of the road, as far as I know. But as has been said, they should use common sense and not hold things up. But I don't think you did anything wrong, and this guy was just a dick.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Why? It's much safer than riding single file. Much. And I haven't ridden a bike in a few years.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's not going anywhere. Bicycling is the second most popular outdoor activity after running, supporting a billion-dollar industry.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

we've got a ton of riders around here, and those giant pelatons hold up traffic

i've got nothing against cycling. i used to ride my bike all the time several years ago. i just don't like those giant groups holidng me up when i'm driving

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It was around 11 a.m. on a suburban main road, about a 1/4 mile before it crosses a divided state highway.
    I was going 25 at most when passing them. I thought I was being as careful as possible.

10. Here cyclist's can ride two abreast - no more than two abreast - on the side of the road (not the shoulder). They have no claim to the middle.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm shocked you have a car that works long enough to pass someone on a bicycle.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't like it either, but it is legal in most places. And like I said, it's a safety thing for the riders when you have more than a few. If it happened a lot, it would be one thing, but I have never even seen one like that unless there's a race. Maybe I'm not the one to weight in on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted