1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod Wants to Talk to Yanks Without Boras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Nov 14, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Free agency just started and you make it sound like it's March already. It's way too early for panic time and if Rodriguez thinks otherwise, it is anything but a "master stroke."

And he would have to get rid of Boras. If the Yankees really did insist on meeting with a player without his agent, they would be violating the agreement with the Players Association.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

A-Rod has posted on his web site that he met with the Yankees today ... without Boras!

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that A-Rod would think that resigning under these circumstances is really going to help his "reputation." The next time he goes 0-4 in a playoff game, the fans and/or media are not going to care one bit how he resigned. Remember they ripped him for not being "clutch" during the regular season then he started hitting jacks at the start of the season, GW HRs, and they still ripped him in the playoffs.

If he wants to resign, great for him but I sure hope he's not deluding himself.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11/14/2007 3:27 PM ET

After spending time with Cynthia and my family over these last few weeks, it became clear to me that I needed to make an attempt to engage the Yankees regarding my future with the organization.

Prior to entering into serious negotiations with other clubs, I wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees' ownership. We know there are other opportunities for us, but Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness.

As a result, I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message. I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation.

Cynthia and I have since spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family. During these healthy discussions, both sides were able to share honest feelings and hopes with one another, and we expect to continue this dialogue with the Yankees over the next few days.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Man oh man, I wonder why he needs to "reach out to the Yankees through mutual friends and convey the message."

I mean, pick up the phone and call Cashman or mini-Steinb, fer cryin' out loud.

Was he worried that Cashman would hang up on him and hurt his poor wittle feelings? Geez, what a tool. Seriously.

And leave the wife out of the loop, too. Rumour has it he's pretty good at that anyway. :D

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think ballplayers like to pretend they're characters The Godfather or The Sopranos, to be honest. It helps uphold the illusion that they are too important to arrange a "sitdown" and in his eyes, he gets to save face this way.

I wonder if Boras is fuming right now. He looks like Phil Leotardo now.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

not that there's anything wrong with that

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're into Vito, huh? That explains a lot, actually.

EDIT: Way to go back and change your post. ::)

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

if you don't think crawling back to the yanks w/o boras helps a-rod's rep, you haven't been paying attention. yes, he's still getting a HUGE deal. and yes, if he chokes in the post-season, he'll still hear all about it.

But he did the best thing for his career AND his slipping rep here. no question about it. the biggest loser in all this appears to be boras.
    ANYBODY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT? DIDN'T THINK SO!! ;D ??? 8)

p.s. -- i heard "mike and the mad dog" on the radio in n.y. today. effin' russo, notorious yankee hater, is trying this as something yankees fans must have mixed emotions about. say what? talk about wishful thinking. this is super news for yankee fans. now they don't have to trade any young pitchers for a bat/third baseman to replace a-rod. there's no down-side for yankees' fans, only for yankees' bashers.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think A - Rod started to realize that his soon to be announced MVP crown would have been a bit of pyyric victory if he was without team. The press conference is not near as impressive from Scott Boras office as it is from Yankee Stadium.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think it has anything to do with his MVP presser. He could pull a Torre and reserve a banquet room in a Manhattan hotel for a press conference.

Instead, he and Boras misread the market. Now ARod has to deal with the Yankees. I do wonder how if and when the Yankees and Boras mend fences. Pretty clearly, Hank Steinbrenner and Co. dislike the agent. But if he has a top-tier free agent who is interested in being a Yankee...

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or, this is all a ploy to make it look like the Yankees are back in the bidding.

Seriously, free agency just started. How stupid would the guy have to be to panic already?

Draft saved Draft deleted