1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod Wants to Talk to Yanks Without Boras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Shame or strategy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/sports/baseball/15yanks.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't buy it. I think it is strategy.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

According to the Daily News, it's not Rodriguez who wants to talk to the Yankees without Boras, it's the Yankees who will agree to talk to Rodriguez if Boras is not in the room.

According to the New Yorker piece last month on Boras, he will not allow any player to be present during negotiations, which is one of the reasons that Bonds is no longer a client.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm also skeptical. but if a-rod is truly serious about changing the perception of him, this could do it. if he was to go back to the yanks at their price, with boras out of the picture, it would be a master stroke.

couldn't you imagine him cutting the yanks a break on the first three years 'cause of the 21 mill the opt-out cost them and they, in turn, backloading the deal?

i'll only buy it when it happens, of course. but it would be the one way for a-rod to alter his image, which is so low now and yet so important to him.

i'd think it would also take a lot of pressure off him. at least until the next time he's in the post-season.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Looks like Cashman has mastered the first rule of negotiations, Always Be Prepared to walk away from the table.

Rule 2: A-B-C. A-always, B-be, C-closing. Always be closing! Always be closing!! A-I-D-A. Attention, interest, decision, action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested? I know you are because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks! Decision -- have you made your decision for Christ?!! And action. A-I-D-A; get out there!! You got the prospects comin' in; you think they came in to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't walk on the lot unless he wants to buy. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

A-Rod just needs to get out of New York. He needs to go somewhere with a smaller media market but a good team. Even though the Rangers weren't that great, he played above and beyond expectations there, and didn't have an opportunity to choke in the playoffs or have his personal life aired out.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, because being in the good graces of Yankee fans is far more important than any other consideration. ::)

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

true. the ball's in a-rod's court. what better way to prove he's no longer a 16-year-old under agent boras' thumb than to fire his sorry ass? or, at the very least, to tell boras he's meeting with the yanks by himself? wtf is boras afraid of? brainwashing?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like the Times really locked down this story:

A person close to the Yankees said this morning that Rodriguez, through an intermediary, told the Yankees ...

The same spin doctor was also talking (anonymously) to the Post and the News yesterday. All of the (ridiculous) anonymous quotes Yankees/MLB suggests an all-out effort to try and split A-Rod and Boras, which is NOT going to happen.

10. outofplace

Boras is a control freak. That's not news.

And going back to the Yankees at their price would not be a master stroke, nor would firing Boras at this point. If he was going to do that, he should have done it in time to work something out with the Yankees before opting out.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I can see the wheels turning in A-Rod's head right now:

"Wow, great idea! I can improve my image and get back into the Yankees' good graces and all I have to do is leave $20 million or $30 million on the table! Where do I sign?"

12. outofplace

Exactly cran. Good point on the sourcing in the story, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted