1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod vs. Selena Roberts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given the logrolling, backscratching and shuck-n-jiving inherent in the above, it's
    almost impossible not to break down in rib-threatening laughter.

Some trains are never, ever late.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If I hear anybody else play strolling violin music in honor of the downtrodden athletes who are being "victimized by a witch hunt," I'll scream. The music, of course, is accompanied by quotations of the cost of the prosecution -- or "persecution" -- of Bonds. When are people going to grasp this? The point of prosecuting Bonds is not to get Bonds. The point is not to humiliate and/or incarcerate another black athlete. The point is to send a message to kids -- mainly high school football players -- that this stuff is illegal and harmful. Is Bonds the target and the example? Yep. When your play is exemplary of excellence but is mitigated by criminal conduct, then the feds are going to use you as an example. That's the way it goes.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

Better question: Who forced him to go on national TV and deny it? Oh, that's right, no one. He DIDN'T have to go on TV. He COULD have declined the interview request. Instead, he CHOSE to blatantly lie to 60 Minutes.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was actually hoping President Obama would tie-in the ARod deal with what has been going on in this country. Trying to find a short-cut, cook the books, or get ahead by cheating isn't confined to baseball. "Everyone was doing it" is what we've heard from people on Wall Street, politicians defending earmarks, and companies rationalizing declining performance by redefining what "success" is. It all comes out in the wash.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, parents are supposed to do that. So spending millions for Barry Bonds' eventual acquittal is the government's version of surrogate parenting ???

6. Oh, for the love of Tebow.
    If I hear the "what about the kids?" excuse for renegade prosecutions one more time, I'm going to scream.

7. And the answer is prosecuting Selena Roberts?

OKaaaaaaaaay ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If A-Rod has an incident report from the cops that she was trespassing, I think it would have been on the smoking gun or Miami Herald by now.

9. Roberts' side of things in here:

http://www.observer.com/2009/media/who-s-lady-meet-selena-roberts-rod-s-worst-nightmare

10. Good for her. Inspiring, actually. So many of us just take the media relations guy or sports information director's stonewall at face value. She didn't even bother with those people.

Seems to me that a dogged reporter like this is miscast as a columnist, especially in an era when we need more reporters like this.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

The best columnists are also the best reporters, or they should be. Informed opinion is better than just opinion.

And any reporter should work to avoid the media relations folk - get a players' number, or e-mail address, which obviously takes time and a bit of give-and-take familiarity and some mutual respect. And don't abuse the contact.

12. Why have we not heard anything from Mr. Epstein?

Draft saved Draft deleted