1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod vs. Selena Roberts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jeff Pearlman gets its exactly right. Peter Gammons is the Larry King of sports journalism. And yes, Gammons should have, at the very least, pressed Rodriguez a little harder on the issue instead of just letting him lie about Selena Roberts because he's a journalist. Because he allegedly wears the same hat we all wear, and he's part of the big community of people who call themselves journalists, for whom the truth is supposed to be important. He's not Alex Rodriguez's friend, and he's not his agent. What he has done in the past and what he has contributed to his profession is not an excuse for lying down just because you score a big interview.

http://jeffpearlman.com/?page_id=7

And even Gammons realizes that, because Deadspin asked him for comment, and he agreed.

2. sg86

sg86 Member

If he really has papers showing she was cited or removed from the property for trespassing, I don't see how everyone can just chalk that up to "reporting."

By all means, do what you need to do to get your story, but if you're going to go to those lengths, I think you have to be ready to accept any criticisms given because of it.

3. What is that business of her "trying to break into my house"?
    Does anyone get the impression that she rang the doorbell and Rodriguez probably called the gated-community rent-a-cop patrol to call the real cops?
    Any more on that?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

His home, Fenian. His HOME! Where his ex-wife used to sleep, and where his children come to play with their toys.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

ARod's is just trying to sell baseball tickets.

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Wrong with a vengeance and then some. I'm still waiting for the "sorry LAX guys" column, but I'm sure that one is on the back burner.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Just heard LeBatard come down on journalists who act in "unethically" in their reporting on this topic. I do hope that ARod provided him with knee pads and a handiwipe.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why should he or any of these guys say yes when asked on national television if they used steroids?

Would you -- knowing that there are a bunch of self-promoting dickheads in Washington trying to make their name by turning steroids in baseball into the crime of the century and seeing the silly degree they are going to try and prosecute Barry Bonds?

There is no way you would and if you say you would you are a liar.

And I heard Selena Roberts rambling the other day on Dan Patrick about how willing she was to go all the way to protect her sources....

I'd love to see this bluff called and the same jackasses who are spending taxpayer money to "get to the bottom of the steroid issue" use the same kind of tactics to find out who unlawfully leaked the results to Roberts and SI.

I'm thinking a few months in the slammer for contempt might change her tune about the nobility of this pursuit.

At what point do we move forward from this mostly ridiculous story about baseball players using steroids and get on with our lives. It happened, it is over, the witch hunts are ridiculous and the self righteous and sanctimonious approach many in the media are taking to this story is embarrassing.

9. Denial is always entertaining, but . . .

"It is over?" It is over?

Delusion is less entertaining.

10. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh, like that document is going to stop the prosecutorial train wreck that has become this country's judicial system at this point -- - particularly when it comes to these pet issues where politicians think that by grandstanding about them on television it will get them votes.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

zagoshe,

I don't get why you're going off so much about what the politicians do, as if that justifies Rodriguez's cheating, and attempting to cover it up with lies.

Not that I'm siding with them, but you're missing the point.

Unless you think it's OK that Rodriguez used something that was against the rules of baseball and banned? Whether or not it was illegal, or may have been performance-enhancing, or not, doesn't even matter, really.

Draft saved Draft deleted