1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Rod to Miami?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Re: The ARod question

and are in their primes. AROD is broken down shell of his former self.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

At least he's up there taken hacks and trying. If there were the NBA, he'd fake a hammy and sit on the bench.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that's true. He is still going to eat a roster spot even if it is for a minimal number of innings/ABs.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How much (if at all) do you increase A-Rod's future mileage by taking away his glove and making him your DH the rest of his career?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And as I've mentioned before, I don't think it's that easy for them to just pay a huge portion of the deal. I can't recall the exact rules, but I don't think they make it very easy to eat money more than a couple of years down the line.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's kind of what I expect to happen. Maybe not next season, but soon...

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Rick, have the rules changed? Because the Rockies ate something like $50 million of Hampton's contract, and even the Rangers ended up paying something like $40 million a year for the four years they had Rodriguez after the money they agreed to throw in to move him.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent question. ARod is not washed up and name me a team in MLB that he wouldn't start for.

9. RickStain

I think they might have changed with the new CBA. I only think so because I remember hearing that the Cubs were having trouble with a Soriano trade because of it and would have an easier time moving him with only two years left on his deal.

10. RickStain

In the National League?

Mets, Padres, Brewers, Cardinals, Padres for sure, a couple of others are borderline. And this is all assuming he can physically handle playing the field all season.

Not quite as well-versed in the AL.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Any MLB team that doesn't want to spend $100 million for a fragile 37-year-old infielder whose numbers have been falling off a cliff for the last five years?

Or is this a trick question?

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

For instance, two years ago, the Rangers still owed Rodriguez close to $24 million. Although I guess that could be entirely deferred money, which would only increase the Yankees financial burden and I can't imagine they'd agree to it in this case, seeing how the Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla out the ass and will be for another 10 years.

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/bankruptcy/2010/05/24/texas-rangers-owe-alex-rodriguez-249-million/

This Murray Chass article about Hampton does mention something about the rules saying you can usually only include $1 million in trades to balance things out, but that Selig granted an exception to the Marlins/Braves/Rockies. It's still a little unclear how much of the $120 million the Rockies ended up paying him, and how much came from the Braves/Marlines though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/19/sports/baseball-all-benefit-in-trade-braves-and-hampton-most-of-all.html?ref=mikehampton

Overall, though, baseball just doesn't run on this kind of stupidity anymore, where teams are willing to take on high-priced vets and eat a ton of a salary (other than the Dodgers) in part because teams like the Cubs and Rangers aren't run by morons anymore, the Angels are maxed out and aren't going to make a Vernon Wells mistake again, and the Mets are bankrupt.

Draft saved Draft deleted