1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Rod to Miami?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: The ARod question

True... He's smart enough to know that acting anything other than thrilled after last night would make him look like a complete douche. I think he was genuine, but that had to have stung.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right... Because it's commonplace to pinch-hit for a three-time MVP in the playoffs. I know he's not in his prime anymore, but still...

It's not to say he's always terrible in the playoffs, he was great in the ALDS and ALCS in 2009, but his batting averages in the last several playoff series since are:
    .250 in the 2009 World Series
    .273 in the 2010 ALDS
    .190 in the 2010 ALCS
    .111 in the 2011 ALDS
    .083 in the 2012 ALDS

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wonder if this will make Scott Boras' next binder?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Still what? He's not in his prime anymore and that's that.

Mantle had a stretch of .167, .120. .133. It happens.

If we're using batting average, Jeter never had a stretch of consecutive bad series like this, but he hit .250 or lower in 11 of his 33 postseason series, or 33%. Rodriguez did the same in 6 of his 15, or 40%. A difference of exactly one series.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jeter wishes he was half the player ARod is.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You should be able to look at a ball player and see that they are a gamer. I've watched A Rod a lot and he has never struck me as one. As example you watch David Ortiz in big situations and you know he will make something happen most time. I've never felt that way about A Rod. When a game is on the line A Rod has never been the type of player that says it's on me.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The arrogance of assuming one's own feelings are the true reality.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is going to be very interesting to watch in the next few years with him, Pujols, Fielder and some lesser guys (Torii Hunter, Carl Crawford). I don't think annual salaries are going down, but teams are going to have to start looking at whether they really want to tack on the extra years to win the bidding.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You guys made the Pittsburgh comment as a joke, but here's my question: how much would it be worth for another team to take him? Obviously, the Yankees would have a to swallow a very nice chunk, but would another team who needs a spike in interest/sales do it?

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Do people really think a 3B who hits .270+ with an OBP of .350+ and shows 20 HR power isn't good? Is Arod what he used to be? No. But he is still a good starting 3B.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I bet the marlins would. Hometown hero and all.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It would have to be an American League team at this point but I just don't see how much of a bump you'd get ticket-wise with the move.

Draft saved Draft deleted