1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A- Rod Book Tanking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 6, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Would you consider the Today show a major television interview?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Book has now dropped to 101 - not a good trend. There is not a book on the list that has generated more publicity in the past 3 months yet it is not selling.

Contrasted by:

Liberty and Tyranny #4 79 days in the top 100
    Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto
    by Mark R. Levin
    $25.00 $13.75

Little publicity / few interviews - yet you can't keep the book on the shelves.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is from yesterday, talking about slow sales. ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30582779

I don't know when I will be able to read it, but from other things I am reading, it sounds like everyone learned the big news from the leaks of the material, and the rest isn't really substantive enough to support a book. Eventually I'll read it and decide for myself, though.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Which hour and who does the interview? But I wouldn't think shut-ins and stay at home moms to be the target audience for ARod Does Roids

5. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Just a thought here ... any chance people aren't buying the book because the big bombshell (the positive steroid test) was widely reported a couple months ago?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Matt Lauer did the interview--he was hard on her--and I believe it was at the top of the second hour.

I was responding to the previous post about how a major interview would put the book on top of the list. I think she's done more than a couple.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I think that's it. You know the scoop, you lose interest in the details.

A-Rod is a liar and cheater? OK, got it. Saved $20.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

In other words, why pay for it when I can get it on the Internet for free!

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or why buy the cow if the milk is free.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

To be fair, Mark Levin doesn't get any mainstream play because he's a maladjusted Glenn Beck lite hate-monger. Which means he's all over AM radio and the wingnutosphere. There's a huge audience there that you might not necessarily ever come in contact with.

11. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I heard Whitlock on Jim Rome yesterday and he went off on Roberts and the book.
    Said it was nothing more than "a celebrity gossip book" --- which is a pretty accurate descrption it would seem --- and didn't trust her as a reporter because of the Duke lacrosse columns and the fact that she still stubbornly denies making any mistakes during that time period. (Not sure I completely agree with this rationale because she wasn't actually doing any investigation work in the Duke case, but I understand his point).

He also thinks Roberts is flat-out lying when she tells people she went into the project thinking A-Rod was clean and it wasn't intended to be a "gotcha" book. (I completely agree with him on this).

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

She went on Jim Rome yesterday to talk about the book.

An hour later, Whitlock came on, pointed out her performance regarding Duke Lacrosse, and said she had a clear "agenda."

He then said racism (against Bonds, A-Rod) was a major reason behind the steroids coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted