1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a pulitzer for the national enquirer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AD, Jan 21, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Protested:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/53320/

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cops do that stuff all the time. It's standard. Is it OK for them to make suspects believe they know more than they do?

4. AD

AD Active Member

again: have there been allegations on the edwards story that the enquirer did something journalistically indefensible?

let's hear them. and i'm not being chippy here: there may be, and i'd love to hear them.

because if you look at most significant industry screw-ups over the last decade or so -- wen ho lee, the rick bragg toe-touch, jayson blair, judy miller and wmd, the john mccain story -- you could argue that no journalism organization has done more to blacken the name of the craft than the new york times.

and where does that leave us?

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

Totally different jobs, totally different purposes and totally different sets of ethics.

6. Not defending those incidents - though the John McCain story isn't even in the same three-state area as the others - but you could also say that the NYT has done more to exalt the name of the craft in the same time period. It's a huge, ambitious news organization.

And my issue with the Edwards story, from a hypothetical Pulitzer perspective, isn't the methods of reporting. It's that it's salacious gossip. When has any story even comparable been in the running for a Pulitzer? Spitzer is different. He was an elected official breaking the law.

7. AD

AD Active Member

agreed on the mccain point -- though wasn't that salacious gossip also?

why is it okay for the times to go after candidate mccain's personal life, but not for the enquirer to go after legitimate presidential aspirant edwards' personal life -- especially since so much of edwards supposed appeal stemmed from his much-shopped relationship with his cancer-stricken, earthy, gravitas-lending spouse?

slices it pretty thin there, i think.

as for journalism excellence, i'll take the washington post over the times for the same time period. on the biggest story of the era, the post ate the gray lady's lunch.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Because boinking a lobbyist is far worse than porking one of your campaign workers, that's why.

9. AD

AD Active Member

agreed. but when candidates are selling their personal lives -- especially at the national level -- i think it's all fair game.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Ineligible, says Pulitzer Board:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/national-enquirer-win-pulitzer-edwards-coverage/story?id=9627228

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I think Ed Anger should be eligible for APSE honors. His Super Bowl stuff annually is among the best anywhere, in any medium.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Aside from whether the National Enquirer is a magazine and is trying to win a 2009 prize with stories from 2007 and '08, isn't one of the factors how well the story is written? Has anybody ever read an NE story and been impressed with the writing?

Draft saved Draft deleted