1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A PM paper in an AM world

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Why do you love Guam and hate America, Sam Mills?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Island life and I are one. What can I say?

3. jps

jps Active Member

none that I've met, my friend.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The second paper i worked for was a pm. Never could get used to those early mornings, though.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I worked at a paper like that and loved it ... still my favorite job of all that I've had ... my stories were much better because I had time to actually think about them and often times a night to sleep on things...

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I worked at a PM at my last stop (it's now an AM). Absolutely hated the split shifts. We tried to split them up among us (one person did a morning editing shift), but you just never got used to it.

7. like many, i started out at a PM and loved it. loved the occasional 4:30 am - noon shift getting the paper out and then free the rest of the day. but i actually find that my stories are much better the less time i have to think about them. give me all day and i'm screwed. put me on deadline and i'm ok

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

There was no way to have a consistent sleep cycle. None.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I am so there.

10. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I know one of them where you aren't, so that leaves three...

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Grew up near a two-paper city and loved it, the Courier-Express in the morning and the Evening News at night.

My first two jobs were at PM papers. Hated the mornings, and the Friday PM paper/Saturday AM paper split shifts, but the staff sure drank a lot more together because we didn't have to work as many nights.

JD, see you soon, I hope. The first Widmer's on me.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I started out at a PM paper. Hated the mornings, but got used to working them.

When we went to AM here, I realized how much better life is when you get to sleep in. Some days I get up early and get a round of golf in before coming into work. That, too, feels nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted