1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A PM paper in an AM world

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A comment on a Jobs board thread made me think: Isn't that a bit of an outdated expression?

Is it an AM world? Is it more accurate to say, in reference to any newspaper, that it's a once-a-day publication in a 24-hour-news-cycle world? That it's a paper in an Internet world?

Great expression: A PM paper in an AM world. But, by the very nature of the reality we find ourselves in, isn't this a somewhat ironic term if still used today?

Or maybe I should just go to bed.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

JD,

Given the so-called 24-hour news cycle, the phrase, while fun and catchy, doesn't fly. For those papers rewriting gamers, doing long-form work and not worrying too hard about cutting-edge material, PM papers are far from dead.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Interesting you should say that. Coincidentally, last night I was talking to a couple in their late 50s, and the wife said she missed the local PM paper. She said her husband always got up early and read the AM paper before work, but she liked reading the PM when she got home.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

there are a bunch of pm papers in oregon.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Well, yeah. It's a PM state in an AM nation.

I don't know what that means, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Or maybe I should say it's on a PM coast in an AM country.

Not sure.

Or maybe I should go to bed.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My hometown still has a PM paper. Of course, most of that is because it's family-owned and the family hasn't really been up with the times.

But I'm certain a lot of people in my hometown feel the same way as the couple with whom you discussed this issue. Seriously, if some publications get over themselves, find a good fit in their communities and worry more about strong journalism and well-written and thoroughly researched pieces, PM papers still have a place in the market.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Don't expect me to argue with a man who likes Sam Mills and Genesis.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My first paper was a PM. I liked it better than the AM paper I worked at. Early mornings, then a mid-afternoon nap, then go cover games and have hours to work up your story.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jd, yes, the PNW sucks. i wish i could live in some other shit state instead. ;)

10. Johnny Dangerously

I meant it in the best possible way. ;D

Which is to say it was a joke that went horribly awry before it ever had a chance.

In fact, I applied for a job in Oregon. I'd love to live there. And as a bonus, if I make 51 dollars there, I'd make more than I made in the last month.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on, jd. i threw in a smiley ... i get to talk shit if i throw in one of those bad boys, don't i?

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I've had three full-time jobs since college. Not one has been a morning paper.

That certainly should out me since there's only four PM papers in the nation.

Draft saved Draft deleted