1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A place for really odd, but legit questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Apr 24, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK folks. Quick ground rule here. Humor obviously is allowed, but let's keep it close to the topic if we can.

I have questions rattling around in my brain and have no way of knowing where to even go to ask them. Maybe you have one or two as well.

My first one is related to a story I've been tinkering with. What would the consistency of water be if you were able to freeze time but still keep moving your own body? I saw the movie Cashback recently and there was a similar kind of plot.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Usually when I freeze time, I'm able to psionically manipulate the matter state of water, as well.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I think that depends on the ground rules of frozen time. Is everything but your own body frozen solid -- ie, you can't, for example, fold laundry because the clothes are frozen in place. If that's the case, I'd guess water would be like ice, with stuff frozen inside it.

Or does everything just stop moving until you, as Newton's Law states, act on it as an outside force? If that's the case, I would imagine water would be more like jell-o, mostly solid and unmoving, but able to be manipulated if you mess with it.

Or does everything living freeze, while non-living things still act normally? If that's the case, it's still liquid water, with fish and stuff in some kind of suspended animation, floating in one spot.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I would imagine, in my scenario, the second instance would be more likely. Everything stops moving except me, and Newton's Law would still apply. Jello was actually the thought I had in imagining this.

Certainly mechanical items that already require human force to work (bikes, for example) should continue to work like normal in this instance, wouldn't you think?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why am I reading this thread? :D

(sorry AA)

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If you froze time, wouldn't the air freeze as well? The air is not just empty, it is filled gas molecules -- oxygen and nitrogen for the most part. Wouldn't all those molecules freeze up, hardening the Earth's atmosphere? There are also microscopic droplets in the air, so those should freeze as well.

If all the atoms stopped moving, they should freeze you in place even if you could stop time.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Professor X can freeze just certain things and/or people in time with his mind. Perhaps that is the real answer.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I had a psychology professor who could freeze time.

And his voice would keep droning on, like a formation of propeller-driven bombers.

High up in the sky.

Forever.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

How come Goofy can wear pants and talk, while Pluto is just a dog?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Professor X does not have telekinetic powers.

He can freeze people through mind control.

I wanna know:

Why would an entire family waste their time posting here?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Pluto's status is perpetually a matter of consternation.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why would any of us. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted