1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A perfectly hateful column from Bob Kravitz on the eve of the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 8, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That the column isn't rare.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rare in the context of Super Bowl stories with a bit of a different angle. Obviously, it's not unique.

3. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Guess not, but yea that's the idea. He couldn't even get his sources to agree that Payton was a bad guy. It just wasn't that convincing in the first place and he's the only one telling me Payton's a bad guy. Just seems like he's going out of his way is all. Not the first time someone's done that, probably won't be the last.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Deadspin loves them some Kravitz . . . OK, maybe not.

http://deadspin.com/5466115/worst-piece-of-journalism-from-super-bowl-xliv--indianapolis-edition

5. writingump

writingump Member

This seemed a little "homer-rific" to me as well. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this way. And this from a guy who's never seemed like a homer -- until then.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

He *was* a scab.

7. I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Kravitz, for example, absolutely tore up Indiana's hire of Kelvin Sampson the day it was announced. Everybody in Indianapolis gripes that he's "too negative." His track record is not one of being a "homer." Would the same column run if Jim Caldwell had been a scab? Yeah. Months and months and months ago.

8. Uhhhh, Zorn wasn't a scab. He was a 10 year vet when the strike hit.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Wrong.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Z/ZornJi00/gamelog/1987/

He played one scab game for the Bucs, two years after his most previous NFL pass.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Z/ZornJi00.htm

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

This story ran elsewhere after Katrina, definitely not news, unless you're looking to grind an ax.

How's the Guild workin' for ya, Bob?

11. Can you point me to the other Colts-Saints Super Bowl between Katrina and this past Sunday when Kravitz would have had a good news peg to find Saints/Sean Payton angles?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think it's hilarious that Kravitz quoted four people --- two former Bears (including McMahon, the person who Payton replaced during the strike) and two current Saints --- and no one gave a shit:

Dan Hampton
    "I'll be honest. For a time, I thought all those (replacement players) were scabs, rats who were sticking a knife in us and our union,'' said Dan Hampton, the former Bear who walked the picket line in 1987. "This guy came in and played and replaced Jim McMahon, I mean, c'mon. His only entrée into the league was by being a scab.

"But you know, over the years, I've softened toward those guys -- mostly because I can't stand our current union and the way they've turned their backs on the older players. They've flashed a giant, 10-foot middle finger at us. The way I look at it now, the guys who really (angered) me were the Howie Longs and Randy Whites, players who crossed the line for themselves and for monetary gain. Kids like Payton, they were chasing a dream. I can't be too hard on them. And the important thing is, he used that opportunity and was fearless about it. Look what he's become. I look at the union now, and it only enhances (Payton's) stature in my eyes.''

Jim McMahon
    "Really? I didn't even know that," McMahon said. "Makes no difference to me."

Drew Brees
    "I don't think our generation looks at those (replacement players) like it was their fault or anything like that."

Jonathan Stinchcomb
    "How are you going to ask somebody to give up an opportunity to play in the league that otherwise they might not have?"

Obviously, there are issues important enough for which a columnist should stand alone even if everyone disagrees with him. This probably isn't one of them ...

Draft saved Draft deleted