1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A NYT Lede That Duplicates Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jul 30, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Now, I suppose that's second-hand information. So:

Now, I suppose you could sub the words "Calipari said he called ..." So:

Again, it seems pretty well covered to me.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And none of this deals with plagiarizing a lede. And no, this lede would not be acceptable if it said "according to Wikipedia."

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why not?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's still plagiarism.

6. Dick Whitman

This always seems like such a silly exercise to me - having to switch around the words when merely laying out facts, facts that you've cited a source for, just to avoid plagiarizing.

What a waste of time. Skeet shooting is great training for skeet shooting.

7. MisterCreosote

No, it isn't. "According to Wikipedia" makes it clear you're not trying to pass it off as your own.

It would still be lazy and shitty journalism. But it wouldn't be plagiarism.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If it's "according to Wikipedia," and then the portion is quoted, it's not plagiarism. If it's "according to Wikipedia" and then the portion is not in quotes, but still verbatim and not paraphrased, I think that's still basically plagiarism.

9. MisterCreosote

It wasn't verbatim.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Was pretty damn close. Used the same phrasing.

11. Dick Whitman

It is factual background. Assuming the words, "According to Wikipedia," how much creativity should she have then put into trying to shuffle the words around just enough in order to satiate the Journalism Police?

12. MisterCreosote

The same order was probably her biggest sin. But, there are only so many ways to phrase the same facts. Especially when they are coming from a faceless, nameless amalgam of online "contributors."

It was different enough that a simple attribution would've covered it. From being plagiarism, I mean - it's shitty journalism no matter what.

Draft saved Draft deleted